What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is interesting - and fun! The term refers to people who are clearing stuff out, either bc they aren’t using it, they are moving, they need the cash, they are becoming minimalist, etc.

If you are on FB, you can find entire groups and pages dedicated to soap supply destashes. I have a friend who watches out for FB destash posts for me. And of course, you can search the general “for sale” posts on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, NextDoor.com, BuyNothing, etc. Search for “soapmaking supplies” and voila! I often see cutters, molds, supplies, FOs, etc.
Be careful with these, they are addictive!

It is interesting - and fun! The term refers to people who are clearing stuff out, either bc they aren’t using it, they are moving, they need the cash, they are becoming minimalist, etc.

If you are on FB, you can find entire groups and pages dedicated to soap supply destashes. I have a friend who watches out for FB destash posts for me. And of course, you can search the general “for sale” posts on FB Marketplace, Craigslist, NextDoor.com, BuyNothing, etc. Search for “soapmaking supplies” and voila! I often see cutters, molds, supplies, FOs, etc.
Thank you!!!

That is so cool ❤️I am just starting out, how do you make the patterns?.This is some of mine but I need some guidance pls. I have been using Goats milk, coconut oil as a base and Cocoa, Shea butter, various EO's, various dried flowers, colourants and great moulds. I only use melt and pour as I am very wary of Lye until I get the jist of what I am doing. How long did it take you to get this good. I am 2 weeks into it 🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
You have real nice soaps there. I did melt and pour for years and years but it always made me itchy. I'll put a plug in for cold process. I would use the analogy, though, that the difference between melt/pour and cold process is the difference between composing a song and singing a song. Both are musical but two separate techniques. Good luck, your eye for design and color will serve you well in whatever type of soaping you do.

I haven’t made soap for at least 4 days. But I did go grocery shopping and came out to see this car parked next to mine:
168DB5FF-1CC2-451F-8BF2-2603C80529F9.jpeg

I made a batch of CP today after a four year break. The last time I made it I made so much that I had to stop and use it up. I got The One Mold and it makes a lot of soap.
Anyway, today's batch was a great one to start again with. It behaved nicely and the FO didn't accelerate at all. I used Shave and a Haircut from BB. I put a little bright blue mica in there to make it pretty. This batch was a 4 pound batch.

View attachment 71706

I made a loaf of charcoal soap with pumice, last night, but I'm less than impressed so far. It's not black; It's dark gray even though I stick blended the AC in my oils before adding the lye solution. Also, my FO discolored the top with a yellowish tinge that I don't like, so I cut off the top with my wire soap cutter and called it good.
Pic is after I cut off the tops, but before I smoothed the edges.
Love these soaps. They are a gentle color yet very strong in tone. Charcoal can be many colors of black, gray, blue gray. And who knows what color they may dry down to. They are lovely.

I went to my regular Saturday market which I attend occaisionally in the winter. As an experiment I sold two of my “fancy soaps” for more than typical - $9 instead of $6. I was really delighted that customers were unfazed - sold out of one and sold a few of the other. These are the “fancy soaps” - monarch and octopus. I think I need to make more octopus soap it’s proving to be popular!

View attachment 71838View attachment 71839
I can see why these soaps sold for more than typical. They are really gorgeous.

Our out-of-state oldest child surprised us with a visit over Easter. When he first arrived, he asked for more lotion bars and as much soap as I could spare. The morning of his departure I found the box of my rainbow bars. It's my first batch where I cannot stand the scent and I purposely stored the box away from my normal storage spot. Fortunately the scent has tamed a bit but I still can't stand it. Zing Jr loves it -- as does everyone -- and grabbed more bars.
My soap stash is pretty dire now, gotta get on it.

Our out-of-state oldest child surprised us with a visit over Easter. When he first arrived, he asked for more lotion bars and as much soap as I could spare. The morning of his departure I found the box of my rainbow bars. It's my first batch where I cannot stand the scent and I purposely stored the box away from my normal storage spot. Fortunately the scent has tamed a bit but I still can't stand it. Zing Jr loves it -- as does everyone -- and grabbed more bars.
So some scents actually might tame a bit? Very encouraging.

I have been seriously MIA these past months—stuck in hockey mom land! I just made a camo hunter’s soap today and can’t wait to see what it looks like!! I used spirulina and green sea clay for the lighter green, spirulina and charcoal for the darker green, charcoal for black and cocoa powder for brown. Unscented. My husband helped me blob all the colors into the mold. It seemed like it took forever for it to get to thick trace. Why does it immediately thicken up when you don’t want it to, and then when you do want it to, it takes forever???

I have been seriously MIA these past months—stuck in hockey mom land! I just made a camo hunter’s soap today and can’t wait to see what it looks like!! I used spirulina and green sea clay for the lighter green, spirulina and charcoal for the darker green, charcoal for black and cocoa powder for brown. Unscented. My husband helped me blob all the colors into the mold. It seemed like it took forever for it to get to thick trace. Why does it immediately thicken up when you don’t want it to, and then when you do want it to, it takes forever???
Sounds pretty, Pictures please :)

Today I showered with @KiwiMoose

's soap and shampoo bar! After several weeks, our trade is complete thanks to a local friend who toured New Zealand. Can't wait to try the lotion bar. And People! Her rocks have to be seen to be believed! Despite her professional photography skills, the photos don't capture the intricacy of the design and the colors. I will treasure my rock. My other hobby
And no surprise, my friend found our Kiwi soaper to be a charming and generous hostess.

Yay for surprise visits, @Zing 🥰 I bet you and Mrs Zing loved every minute. And isn’t it nice for friends and family to love what we’ve made?

I’m happy to report that my DH finally has a batch of my soap he likes, so the stampede can be called off 😂🤣😂 and that now I’m starting to hear “I need….” for soap, Zings lotion bars and scrubs 🌸

Latest posts

Back