What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These soaps are fantastic. Love the swirls and the solid color tops. I especially like the contrasting colors against the cream color.
Thank you. It was supposed to be a white base, with the faux funnel concentric circles on top. But by the time I poured the base, everything was at a thick trace. All I could do was shovel in the colors, bang it down repeatedly, and try to whirl the insides with a spoon. I didn't manage to get any of the white base to the top, and somehow one side ended up with wispy swirls that I love. The other side looks like a completely different soap, with huge color swirls. Still, it's much better than I hoped!

Today I cut my April challenge soap. This is the second time I’ve used lard over 20%. I wanted to have a slow batter, and it sure was slow! I probably shouldn’t have even cut it today but given it another day or so. It’s really soft. That happened last time I used a higher percentage of lard, too. I used sodium lactate and CPOP’d at least for a couple hours (until hubs needed the oven). Is that normal for a high(er) lard soap?

ETA: I’m also experimenting with EDTA. Does that normally affect the texture?
My 50-60% lard soaps aren't soft at all. I rarely use SL, but my lye concentration is typically 40%, which typically helps it harden pretty fast. I can usually unmold at 15-20 hours, depending on how long I leave it on the heating pad.

Last edited:
20230418_075521.jpg

I made these at lunchtime yesterday and cut them early this morning. They are 40% lard at 40% lye concentration with no sodium lactate added. I'm still navigating how to pretty up my cut soaps in a consistent way, but I'm having fun! Scented with neroli nirvana, which isn't really my cuppa, but it's a well behaved floral for anyone looking. I colored the peachy portion with a tsp of paprika infused olive oil. I still haven't tried micas yet.

Last edited:
I made these at lunchtime yesterday and cut them early this morning. They are 40% lard with no sodium lactate added. I'm still navigating how to pretty up my cut soaps in a consistent way, but I'm having fun! Scented with neroli nirvana, which isn't really my cuppa, but it's a well behaved floral for anyone looking. I colored the peachy portion with a tsp of paprika infused olive oil. I still haven't tried micas yet.
Those are gorgeous!! 😍

Those are gorgeous!! 😍
Thank YOU and all the others for encouraging me to try the lard. It's taken me months and months to get up the courage, but I am pleasantly surprised and love this recipe already. I know I wasn't supposed to but of course I tried a sliver. It lathers well; not slimy like the purified bacon grease bars I tried a couple years back that have made me so reluctant. I've got a feeling this will become a favorite base recipe.

Last edited:
View attachment 72061

I made these at lunchtime yesterday and cut them early this morning. They are 40% lard at 40% lye concentration with no sodium lactate added. I'm still navigating how to pretty up my cut soaps in a consistent way, but I'm having fun! Scented with neroli nirvana, which isn't really my cuppa, but it's a well behaved floral for anyone looking. I colored the peachy portion with a tsp of paprika infused olive oil. I still haven't tried micas yet.
Those are beautiful! I like the subtlety of it.

Sooo excited! Been struggling to find and shape a recipe for soap dough with tallow. My normal soap recipe just became too hard. Mixed a small batch yesterday while feeling a bit better. Just unmolded them and sat in bed kneading it to see if this umpteenth attempt will work. It does!
Now just to get rid of this *$&$ virus, then, hopefully, I can make some prettiness!

@Servant4Christ I do hope you love working with lard! I'm a little afraid we've all built it up so much that it won't live up to the hype (but it usually does).

Back to my non-challenge soap, looks like the spoon swirl saved the day, so at least the entire slab wasn't a bust. I'm not crazy about the EO blend; all I get is the rosemary. I love the smell and taste of fresh rosemary, but find the EO to be a bit too medicinal unless it is tempered with other stuff. Ah well. I'm sure some friends and family will take it off my hands. ;)

Edit: what looks like a mustard-y color is actually a very pretty coral-ish orange IRL.

View attachment 72052
Dang, those colors! Stunning. Ice @AliOop!

I made soap today, hurray! It'll be a long 6 weeks. Double batch of my Spring Clean. It's a simple pleasure to fill 2 molds with no leftover batter.
I made some Goat Milk Soap! Yesterday was busy. Blueberry Cheesecake - still the mold. (unmold this pm) And for Mother's Day, GM Tulips & Jonquils. Bought some fake stems that arrived yesterday and applied the 1st Tulip to see what it looks like. I think I like it!

Attachments

• 4-18-2023 Blueberry Cheesecake in mold.jpg
    4-18-2023 Blueberry Cheesecake in mold.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 4-2023 Tulip Goat Milk Soaps.jpg
    4-2023 Tulip Goat Milk Soaps.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 4-18-2023 Tulip GM Soap.jpg
    4-18-2023 Tulip GM Soap.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
I am researching today. My mom, who is a couple thousand miles away, has requested a specific FO in a soap. Her long time bf found and bought a soap with this scent for her at a nearby farm market while on a business trip. Of course, I cannot find this FO anywhere but Lebermuth.

Last edited:
I made some Goat Milk Soap! Yesterday was busy. Blueberry Cheesecake - still the mold. (unmold this pm) And for Mother's Day, GM Tulips & Jonquils. Bought some fake stems that arrived yesterday and applied the 1st Tulip to see what it looks like. I think I like it!
WAIT, what?!? Those are SOAPS, @scmorgans ?? 😳🥰😳😍😳🥰
AhhhhhhhMazing soap wok there! I’m in awe. 🌸

Absolutely beautiful tulips and blueberry cheesecake!!!

Haha, cleaned out my master batch lye (detergent) container, prepared and left a fresh batch of master batch lye out to cool down. Made dinner, had dinner, then went to put the cooled lye in the container and my husband (who does the dishes) had tossed it and put the dishes in the dishwasher. Oh well, we will now have clean kitchen drains :)

Haha, cleaned out my master batch lye (detergent) container, prepared and left a fresh batch of master batch lye out to cool down. Made dinner, had dinner, then went to put the cooled lye in the container and my husband (who does the dishes) had tossed it and put the dishes in the dishwasher. Oh well, we will now have clean kitchen drains :)
Oh my gosh, he's so lucky he didn't splash any on himself or his clothes!!

Unbelievable gorgeous soap!!!!!
Is that soap dough on top?
Looks like a very expensive French bakery cake.

Well, @scmorgans I, too, made goats milk soap. First time ever. I have only ever made vegan soap ( but I am not vegan myself) so i have never attempted using goats milk before. I made a batch using my standard recipe ( which i usually adjust with different additives such as aloe juice, rice water, coconut milk or oat milk). I want to see whether goats milk really is superior, or if it's just label appeal. We shall see....
Oh - and they are PLAIN - no tulips or cheesecake or nuthin'.

Oh my gosh, he's so lucky he didn't splash any on himself or his clothes!!
Yes he is, I was thinking about this too. It was in a jug, inside a stainless steel bowl, away from the dishes, right next to my cleaned out (marked as poison) detergent jug, so I thought it was obvious. We have no kids or pets. This will only happen once :)

Back