What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my first Christmas soap of 2019 today! :) (No, not castile, I'm just kinda lazy and didn't get it done! LOL)
I know these should have been done +4 months ago, but I just got around to doing them today. Lol inside is supposed to be a reverse feather swirl that I’m hoping will resemble a Christmas tree. We’ll see. Lol cut tomorrow. Scented with a mix of 3 love spells because I needed it to stay fluid. It did for the most part.
At least they will be nice and cured by my shows in October and November. :)

Holly loaf.jpg

Holly Soap.jpg

You will be very prepared!
I’m also very new, made my first batch about ten days ago completely out of impulse with zero prep (you really can get at least the basic oils at the grocery store and/or Walmart — the latter also has lye (plumbing isle) and essential oils of a few different brands).
It’s been only ten days and I know it has to cure like 4 more weeks but couldn’t resist trying it and it’s so good! I had pretty bad memories of soap bars from my parents’ house and since then have only used liquid soap, but this is just great — bubbly, smells delicious, and not drying at all. Really worth the effort.
Good luck with the first batch!

@atiz I looked at our local Walmart, the plumbing aisle is literally a half (if that!) of one side of the aisle. There was no lye, only drano and the like. I'm going to have to order mine online, so no impulse soapmaking going on here. :shakinghead: By the time I get everything, I MIGHT be able to make a batch by the 4 day weekend in February that I have. :D

0EFD9ECF-A403-421A-922A-373D54A89EEC.png
There was no lye, only drano and the like
It probably won’t be called “Lye”. Look for this or something similar. Walmart and Lowe’s both carry it near me. Home Depot does not carry anywhere as I guess it’s also used to make crystal meth (?)

View attachment 34680
It probably won’t be called “Lye”. Look for this or something similar. Walmart and Lowe’s both carry it near me. Home Depot does not carry anywhere as I guess it’s also used to make crystal meth (?)
Oh Wow! I thought all I saw was the liquid stuff, but maybe it wasn't all liquid. I'll take a look next time I'm there again. Thank you! Oh, and also, yes, it is used to make crystal meth, which is actually a pretty big problem in my area, based on all the local arrests reported. Small town...who woulda thought.

Editing to say that I looked up where to buy it in my area, and yes, Walmart, Lowes, and Tractor Supply have it. Tractor Supply has the best price though at $14.99 +tax for 2lbs. And I can order it online and pick up in the store, so no shipping cost. I might just end up doing that. I need a paycheck under my belt first...good thing I get paid Friday. :D

Last edited:
I need a paycheck under my belt first...good thing I get paid Friday. :D

I've been broke ever since I started soap making :-(

I turned out my stinky lavender soaps from their moulds. I used @Zany_in_CO's 'no-slime' castile recipe and added 10% coconut and 5% castor. The soaps look very creamy! Interestingly, I used a heap of my blue colouring, which up til now has always turned purple in the soap - but this time it did nothing. Never mind - they still look quite nice with just hint of lilac colour:
IMG_0578.JPG
fullsizeoutput_4d5e.jpeg

That’s why I love amazon! I can order most oils and get them the same day or next
Nice for some! ;)
I have one supplier who ships next day, but it is most common for warehouses to close down over the summer period from Christmas eve - to 3rd or even the 7th January! We have two statutory days holiday for Xmas and another two for New Years so most people close for the period in-between. The only people open are the retailers.

I turned out my stinky lavender soaps from their moulds. I used @Zany_in_CO's 'no-slime' castile recipe and added 10% coconut and 5% castor. The soaps look very creamy! Interestingly, I used a heap of my blue colouring, which up til now has always turned purple in the soap - but this time it did nothing. Never mind - they still look quite nice with just hint of lilac colour:
View attachment 34681 View attachment 34682

Interesting about the colouring. was it mica powder and what colour was the soap batter? just wondering if the batter colour could maybe of counteracted the blue you added

I've had that happen before. Some colourants are not compatible with cp; they can morph. I wanted to make a soap I called Ice Queen... it turned into Amethyst Queen because the blue morphed to purple. o_O

Does this include micas? iv read that some are chemically coloured and can bleed in soaps

@Chris_S and @jcandleattic - I love both of those soaps! I've been messing around, trying to make a massage lotion, for myself and other RMT (registered massage therapist) friends.. I think I've got a formula that I like - now just to have some friends beta test it for me, and let it sit... I used different preservatives in different batches - Optiphen Plus, and Geogard ECT - I found that the Geogard smells fairly medicinal, but may soften a bit after the lotion sits. I think I'll probably stick with the Optiphen Plus though, because I don't have to wait for post emulsion, and the lotion is definitely below Ph 6 .. about to do some taxes, then maybe treat myself to making a batch of soap.. and maybe brave a swirl, lol!

Really pretty! Looks like rose and ivory colored soap? Very nice
Yes, I did the cardboard down the centre trick when pouring - and put the ivory on one side with the pink on the other ( it will be pale pink once it's gelled I believe). A bit of a circular swirl on the inside - but we shall see.
As expected, the rose fragrance and the EOs I used (Palmarosa being the main culprit) accelerated trace so I had to work quite quickly putting the colours (TD and liquid courant) in.
I also tried adding a heaped teaspoon of rice flour - just coz I read somewhere that it makes it creamy? We shall see.

View attachment 34681 View attachment 34682

I like the bar shapes. What mold did you use and how much do the bars weigh?

I turned out my stinky lavender soaps from their moulds. I used Zany's No Slime Castile Recipe and added 10% coconut and 5% castor. The soaps look very creamy! Interestingly, I used a heap of my blue colouring, which up til now has always turned purple in the soap - but this time it did nothing. Never mind - they still look quite nice with just hint of lilac colour:
Well done, Kiwi! Those are beautiful!

I haven’t gotten that adventurous yet! Anxious to see how it turns out.

Pouring from 2 jugs have a simular effect to the cardboard thats how iv done my last 2 batches im still going to try the cardboard method but ill wait till im only using 2 different colours before i do that.

Officially the last soap i made in 2018 lol. Used the same 2 pours at same time method as i used on the last batch had 2 batches of oils and butters weighed out so i made 2 batches worth, and while i was at it tested if one my fragrances iv not made any notes of accelerated trace or not. it does but not badly that went in a single mold uncoloured. Tried a few different little swirls to see how it would turn out. Used the hook end of a skewer to try make it a bit different then used the hook in the other batch to twisle to see how it comes out. Excited to unmold it gunna get my patient cap on and not do it too early this time and risk pulling corners away

Attachments

• 20181231_233819.jpg
    20181231_233819.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 31
Oh Wow! I thought all I saw was the liquid stuff, but maybe it wasn't all liquid. I'll take a look next time I'm there again. Thank you! Oh, and also, yes, it is used to make crystal meth, which is actually a pretty big problem in my area, based on all the local arrests reported. Small town...who woulda thought.

Editing to say that I looked up where to buy it in my area, and yes, Walmart, Lowes, and Tractor Supply have it. Tractor Supply has the best price though at $14.99 +tax for 2lbs. And I can order it online and pick up in the store, so no shipping cost. I might just end up doing that. I need a paycheck under my belt first...good thing I get paid Friday. :D

This is what I got -- about $5 per lb. But I guess not every Walmart carries the same stuff, so you might need to order it there too.
Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 7.36.55 PM.png

Latest posts

Back