What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the bar shapes. What mold did you use and how much do the bars weigh?
Just a cavity mould I bought off the internet. Not sure on weight - I’ve never weighed them. Would be interesting to compare weights across all my soaps I guess. I get 12 bars out of my 1lt oils. I think they oughta be around 90g each once cured.

I cleaned 200 and eleventy million soap utensils, pots, pans and bowls. I may have fudged the numbers there. I think there was more. Felt like it anyway :mad:. Cleaning up because the Mother-In-Law is coming to stay. She will be doing her not so subtle inspection. Kill. Me. Now.
Perhaps she could help you “clean up.”! It might give her a new appreciation of what you have to go through to create your soaps!

had a few batches of lavender soap which my mom requested for her friends. she was adamant that i put the buds inside the soap coz she likes it. i told her it wasnt a good idea, yet i complied. now i gotta deal with lotsa bars that has these disgusting drag marks that i gotta clean up! pissed!

other than that, got quite a few eos to try, a couple of new molds, and my single wire cutter has arrived. i have a lot of things to play with, yay!

oh, and a 100 piece guest soap order that i gotta finish in a week. thank god it's mp!

life is quite busy in my lil soapy kingdom :D
Buds belong in lavender soap.you may not like the drag marks but people here in our area love the buds.

Just a cavity mould I bought off the internet. Not sure on weight - I’ve never weighed them. Would be interesting to compare weights across all my soaps I guess. I get 12 bars out of my 1lt oils. I think they oughta be around 90g each once cured.

1000g oils becomes about 1450g batch / 12 and allowing for shrinkage would make 12 x 110g bars. Approximately.

Dean - most mold makers will tell you the amount of batter each cavity takes to fill it. Check this page:

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/soap-molds-clamshells/silicone/basic.aspx

1000g oils becomes about 1450g batch / 12 and allowing for shrinkage would make 12 x 110g bars. Approximately.
Bang on PJ! I just got home and weighed my soaps - the lavender large florals and the rectangle bars both weigh in at 110g. Still more curing to do though, so could end up a little less maybe.

Is there an average weight that y'all aim for in a bar of soap?

Whooohoooo I got my soap poured and in the freezer prior to Midnight. Peach Bellini this time for Spring.

I got a cookie press for Christmas so of course I decided instead of cookies I would try some piping on soap instead lol.

Not bad for HP soap I think. the inner swirls are the orange looking whoops plop on the righter edge of the mold. You cant see it well here but it has both snowflake and gold shimmer Mica on top. (Ignore the ink marks, Im spatially challenged and have to mark my molds for embeds)

Peach Bellini.jpg

Last edited:
Bang on PJ! I just got home and weighed my soaps - the lavender large florals and the rectangle bars both weigh in at 110g. Still more curing to do though, so could end up a little less maybe.

Is there an average weight that y'all aim for in a bar of soap?

:)
I don't think there is a standard weight that people like. It depends how generous you want your soap to be, I guess. Personally I like bars to be at least 100g but that is just from bars I have see. Although, of course, the cost is going to play a part in that assessment. Commercial bars are now about 85g!

If you are selling you have to ensure each of your bars weights at least what you say the weight is on the label (after cure) and you have to have a weight on the label. An average of your bars is not good enough. (This applies in Australia anyway you would have to check the rules for NZ.)

Last edited:
:)

If you are selling you have to ensure each of your bars weights at least what you say the weight is on the label (after cure) and you have to have a weight on the label. An average of your bars is not good enough. (This applies in Australia anyway you would have to check the rules for NZ.)

Gosh - where do you sell that you have to have labels, and weights specified? To shops? I buy soaps at the farmers markets here and they are all unpackaged, unlabelled, and I have no idea what's in them or what weight they are. I can get 4 bars for $10. Made in Australia - LOL. (Might I mention that since I've been making my own I have not been buying from the market)

Since I only woke up about half an hour ago, I haven't done anything soapy yet other than decide to make soap at some point this morning. Yesterday, I purchased a Magic Bullet blender (primarily for soapmaking) so I could grind a SCOBY or two to make a kombucha soap. That's on today's agenda.

How does that work? I’m very interested to try that. My sister has lots of leathery SCOBY hanging around waiting for a purpose!
I've been doing a bit of reading on Kombucha soap as I, too, have plenty of Scoby (two large mason jars full) and kombucha brewing. In my soap, I'll be using approximately 1 oz of scoby and 1/2 of my lye water weight of kombucha. I blitzed them together in the Magic Bullet until the scoby was pretty much liquified, then strained it. Whatever was left in the strainer was composted (there wasn't much) and the resulting liquid will be added after trace. I'll be dissolving the lye in an equal weight of water.

I lowered the SF of my usual recipe from 6% down to 3% because I know the kombucha is acidic and will neutralize some of the lye which will, in turn, up the SF. I haven't done those calculations because I'm not THAT science-y.

I headed off down to the supermarket early this evening to buy some cocoa butter, olive oil and rice bran oil. I had a mild panic attack because I had nothing in the house with which to satisfy the 'hard' fats in a soap recipe. I was gonna try @dixiedragon's shea heavy recipe but then noticed I didn't have enough shea for that either. Luckily I could get some cocoa butter from the supermarket.

I have more shea and soy wax coming, but due to all the Christmas and new year's closures, I am unlikely to get it until Thursday or Friday this week, and I cannot possibly wait until then to make more soap!
This makes a really nice mild soap that lathers well, although I am not sure if I shared it correctly
http://soapee.com/recipes/10512

ETA I do not share many of my recipes but this one is so nice I broke down and just hoping no one decides to sell it in my market area...:rolleyes:

2 days ago I did a new recipe with more liquid oils so I am not able to cut at the 8-10 hr mark like before PLUS they have milk in it so I have to put them outside to not gel.

1 I got to cut yesterday but the Charcoal one (which is slate grey at 1 tsp ppo) I couldn't cut till this morning :( And I am wishing I had used a bit more Rosemary EO as it is barely noticeable. Hope that it comes out a bit more but I am ok with that.

Oh and I can't soap will it gets cold out again (small fridge) because it is almost 50 out again today :"(

I'm in the middle of making my kombucha soap. The oils and the lye are outside, cooling down. I decided to scent it with a Lemongrass/Verbena blend and do an ITP swirl with a combo of French Green Clay and Mint Green Chromium Hydroxide Green.

And, I just noticed that the shaft of my stick blender (plastic) is beginning to crack. Time for a new stick blender. This one cost me about $5.00 at a 2nd hand store and has lasted me about three years. The next one will have a metal shaft and will likely cost a little more.

Latest posts

Back