What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made an Apple scented soap which is still in the mold right now. Smells like fresh cut apple.

I have been using my 'Pears' imitation fragrance soap at the kitchen sink, although not fully cured yet - and I noticed as it's curing it's smelling more and more like rosemary. So if I make it again, I might reduce that percentage of the EOs to allow some of the other notes to come through.

I finally did it. 13 months after making my first bar, after hiding out from all social media for the last 7 or 8 months, which is why I haven't been on here at all, we finally did it. We went to our first show. I'm there now and I've sold to three different people. I told myself if I sold even one bar would be a success, because I overcame my anxiety. So this is a success.

Thanks for the help getting started. I'm hoping to come back and participate in the community again.

Attachments

• PXL_20240420_142632913.jpg
    PXL_20240420_142632913.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240420_142627735.jpg
    PXL_20240420_142627735.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 17136248105992008888049644315755.jpg
    17136248105992008888049644315755.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I finally did it. 13 months after making my first bar, after hiding out from all social media for the last 7 or 8 months, which is why I haven't been on here at all, we finally did it. We went to our first show. I'm there now and I've sold to three different people. I told myself if I sold even one bar would be a success, because I overcame my anxiety. So this is a success.

Thanks for the help getting started. I'm hoping to come back and participate in the community again.
Congratulations and welcome back!

Congrats!

Awesomeness! I'm so happy for you! 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
🙌🏼 🙌🏼 🙌🏼 🥳🥳🥳

Congratulations! Hope to continue to see you on here.

Thanks!
It's the third batch of that soap I've made (and also the best looking one) so I've gotten so much better at it😁
So have you gotten to use any cured soap yet? I've said this before but I got into cold process for the creativity (color, scent, design) and got a huge pleasant surprise that my skin health turned completely around. You're gonna love it.

There he is! I've been so curious. Frame that first dollar, man!

So have you gotten to use any cured soap yet?

Yes, I have! And it's awesome! Me and my friends were amazed by the difference to commercial soap.
I've said this before but I got into cold process for the creativity (color, scent, design)
I am so not an artist, so I got into it for the better skin😁
and got a huge pleasant surprise that my skin health turned completely around. You're gonna love it.
I do! I'm using all the soaps (I've got 6 different ones) all at once! And not waiting for once to finish before going on to the next one.

@Jorah Congratulations! You were missed! Everything looks wonderful in your display. Thanks for the update.

My first ever liquid soap! The calendula-infused rice bran oil I subbed in for 50% of the sunflower oil in the recipe probably eliminated my chances of having a transparent soap, but I’m happy with it. It’s foamy on the top from adding the EOs. I guess that will dissipate? Or should I spray it with alcohol?

IMG_0904.jpeg

Last edited:
@Jorah Congratulations! You were missed! Everything looks wonderful in your display. Thanks for the update.

My first ever liquid soap! The calendula-infused rice bran oil I subbed in for 50% of the sunflower oil in the recipe probably eliminated my chances of having a transparent soap, but I’m happy with it. It’s foamy on the top from adding the EOs. I guess that will dissipate? Or should I spray it with alcohol?

View attachment 77175
Fantastic, and welcome to LS!

You can spritz it with some alcohol, or let it sit until tomorrow and see if the bubbles are gone.

Congrats! Your soap wrapping looks very nice.

Ohhhh, that looks great! Congrats @Mobjack Bay 🥰

I made soap today for the April challenge and it was the most unorganized and unprepared session ever! I did all the work on planning my design, and figuring out percentages of batter, then forgot to pick a FO which means I also hadn’t looked up usage rates, and I didn’t get any colors out and prepared. Luckily I was using a slow moving recipe, because I got my batter to a nice emulsion before any of that dawned on me. That was a lot of chaos for one little 300g batch!

I've been missing in action for about a month now and it's good to be back! It started with a nice vacation and ended with my computer completely locking me out for a number of reasons! Long story short, I had to redo all the passwords for most all my accounts!!! Now that that is done, I'm back!

I haven't started yet, but my latest project is for some friends who are getting married. I volunteered/gifted to them to make little soaps for all their guests. They chose a heart shaped mold/design and I've got 50 to make. I have a couple weeks before my 6 week cure cut-off date. I'll keep you all posted on how things go! Any suggestions are always welcomed!

Hope everyone is having a great day, and happy soaping everyone!

Finished getting sample FOs ready for pouring, now need to prepare a test batch of batter. I HATE doing samples because my hands are really shaky and it is a PITA to do them one at a time, I have to pour in/pour out/pour in/pour out, seemingly ad infinitum, to get the right teeny amount in. During which time the batter is thickening, I am getting frustrated and time-pressed, etc.

For me it is much less stressful to do a bunch in advance and then when it's time to pour and mix I can just dump the FO in to each little testing cup. I learned this from an smf member, soapmaker145, who did an amazing amount of testing/posting.

Here's their testing procedure post for anyone that's interested (on post #174): https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/fragrance-buddy-fo-test.56966/page-9

The little tubes and stand cost about $13.00 together on Amazon US.

Attachments

• samples.jpg
    samples.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
HATE doing samples because my hands are really shaky and it is a PITA to do them one at a time, I have to pour in/pour out/pour in/pour out, seemingly ad infinitum, to get the right teeny amount in.
How about some disposable plastic pipettes for measuring small amounts? I don't have steady hands either, and these save my sanity!

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 4.05.56 PM.png

How about some disposable plastic pipettes for measuring small amounts? I don't have steady hands either, and these save my sanity!

View attachment 77205
I had to borrow (ask, acquire), some from dh, he ordered some from China a while ago, if I had known I would have doubled his order. He makes lures and uses them for measuring paint for spray painting.
@AliOop, that's probably a wise move. I wanted to avoid them because of the waste but at some point (that frankly has probably already passed) sanity should prevail.
They are washable, I have used them for colouring and washed them out.Soak them in really how water first.

@AliOop, that's probably a wise move. I wanted to avoid them because of the waste but at some point (that frankly has probably already passed) sanity should prevail.
I am also one who hates disposable anything, especially plastic waste. But there is a time and place for these. As Relle noted, you can wash them.

When I use them for larger FO/EO bottles, I actually use a rubber band to secure the pipette to that bottle, so I can resuse it for the same scent. You could do the same for the tester bottles for which you decide to order larger quantities.

Back