What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I cut my 8th batch of soap. Beautiful green from spirulina powder. I use lemongrass and rosemary eo.

What natural colorant you guys like?
IMG_20240410_070036.jpg

Very pretty! I like using alkanet, cocoa powder, indigo, and activated charcoal.
I really like the purple color from alkanet. Unfortunately, there is no alkanet selling in the country I'm living. Shipping abroad is very expensive. I'm trying to find a replacement. Probably some local plant that I don't know. Wish me luck🤞🍀

If you're a natural colorant fan, you should check out Wild Plantanica's website, the owner uses only natural colorants and her soaps are so beautiful. She has an instagram as well, both are well worth looking at for inspiration.

I really like the purple color from alkanet. Unfortunately, there is no alkanet selling in the country I'm living. Shipping abroad is very expensive. I'm trying to find a replacement. Probably some local plant that I don't know. Wish me luck🤞🍀
Oh the green you have in your soap is beautiful! Do you have access to Ratanjot (inci Onosma echioides) or Gromwell (inci Lithospermum Erythrorhizon) both give purple. I think Gromwell will be easier for you to find. You could try Craftiviti I think they sell it. Treat them the same as the Alkanet and you will have lovely purples (one slightly more pink the other leans more blue).

Madder is inci Rubia Tinctorum and Manjistha is Rubia Cordifolia both give pink and I think you will find Manjistha easier to find maybe. They are different herbs as you can see by the inci. Always look for the inci so you know what you are buying and using.

You may well find it MUCH easier in an Asian store that has healing herbs as both are very good for us or even an online store that sells herbs

Gromwell's Chinese name is Madder's Zicao
Madder's Chinese name is Qian Cao Gen

Fingers crossed you are able to find them now

I believe @Mobjack Bay has posted previously about creating purple by mixing indigo and madder.

@curlycoat2 is a fabulous resource for natural colorants, as well. Her e-book is available for purchase and download here.
Thank you @AliOop for suggesting my work xx

Last edited:
Oh the green you have in your soap is beautiful! Do you have access to Ratanjot (inci Onosma echioides) or Gromwell (inci Lithospermum Erythrorhizon) both give purple. I think Gromwell will be easier for you to find. You could try Craftiviti I think they sell it. Treat them the same as the Alkanet and you will have lovely purples (one slightly more pink the other leans more blue).

Madder is inci Rubia Tinctorum and Manjistha is Rubia Cordifolia both give pink and I think you will find Manjistha easier to find maybe. They are different herbs as you can see by the inci. Always look for the inci so you know what you are buying and using.

You may well find it MUCH easier in an Asian store that has healing herbs as both are very good for us or even an online store that sells herbs

Gromwell's Chinese name is Madder's Zicao
Madder's Chinese name is Qian Cao Gen

Fingers crossed you are able to find them now
Thank you so much for your help. I've just found the chinese herb shop that sell Manjistha. Never think of the herb shop before but they are hundred of them around Bangkok where I live now. And great idea for suggesting to look for the inci. 😊

Thank you so much for your help. I've just found the chinese herb shop that sell Manjistha. Never think of the herb shop before but they are hundred of them around Bangkok where I live now. And great idea for suggesting to look for the inci. 😊
Absolutely a pleasure to help another soaper to try plants in soap! Please tag me when you use it, would love to share your joy.

Today I cut my 8th batch of soap. Beautiful green from spirulina powder. I use lemongrass and rosemary eo.

View attachment 77066
Gorgeous green! I used spirulina once and loved the color, but I think I used too much, as the odor lasted forever!

Anyway, for natural colorants I really like alkanet, madder root and annatto seed. I also use clays.

Trying out new silicone molds for an upcoming market (some have organic rose and calendula petals that I put in the bottom before pouring), and a pic of my ‘soap on a stick’ that didn’t leave me time to fully incorporate the charcoal and that I had to cram into the mold. EO blend was Black Rose from EO Calc.
IMG_1144.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1293.jpeg
    IMG_1293.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0582.jpeg
    IMG_0582.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0524.jpeg
    IMG_0524.jpeg
    870.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0521.jpeg
    IMG_0521.jpeg
    628.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0520.jpeg
    IMG_0520.jpeg
    494.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0523.jpeg
    IMG_0523.jpeg
    773.7 KB · Views: 0
Trying out new silicone molds for an upcoming market (some have organic rose and calendula petals that I put in the bottom before pouring), and a pic of my ‘soap on a stick’ that didn’t leave me time to fully incorporate the charcoal and that I had to cram into the mold. EO blend was Black Rose from EO Calc.View attachment 77092
Your soap on the stick is very beatiful. The incorporate chacoal turn out like marble! Great work.

I also love the 6 flowers silicone mold. I'm planning to buy one.

I have found my lemon scents!

RE Lemon verbena - absolute best lemon verbena. It’s perfectly balanced with a nice sharp note that makes it nice and tart and just overall delicious.

RE Lemon Slices - a pure lemon! No dusting spray, lemonade or candy notes. Perfect lemon scent and holding quite well. It’s the juicy tart lemon that I smell on my hands after cutting lemons. Perfect replacement for lemon EO.

Best Orange Scents

RE Fresh Squeezed Orange - absolutely my favorite orange even though it’s very light after cure. It has those top bright notes you get when you slice an orange and no fake undertones.

BB Orange peel - missing those top fresh notes but has a nice zest and citrus to it and sticks well. It’s not a sweet orange and actually reminds me more of a satsuma blended with tangerine or mandarin.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back