What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
made a lime coconut bar last night--used coconut milk for the first time. does coconut milk discolor? I added quite a bit of white mica to it but it still isn't really "white-white". I guess I am not unhappy with it but was looking for a whiter bar-- I use oils to get as white a bar as I can without adding white mica

Nothing. I had misquoted a fellow member, and there’s no “delete” option for posts.
Oh gotcha!
made a lime coconut bar last night--used coconut milk for the first time. does coconut milk discolor? I added quite a bit of white mica to it but it still isn't really "white-white". I guess I am not unhappy with it but was looking for a whiter bar-- I use oils to get as white a bar as I can without adding white mica
What are your favorite oils to use for a white bar? I’m still new at this.

Not going to be making soap until at least mid June. Had cataract surgery on my right eye today, left eye is next Friday. So activity restrictions have me limited on bending. The great news is that I can see better out of that eye than I have been able to in 46 years. Without a lens in my glasses on that side.
I’ve had patients tell me that colors are more vibrant and oftentimes appear to be entirely different colors than what they thought they were, eg, their clothes!

I spent yesterday trimming and prettifying my soaps for an event at our local Tractor Supply Market Day. I just got a card reader so I hope it brings in more sales than last year when I could only take cash. I’m trying to figure out how to upload a photo of my soaps here so you can see the old treadle sewing machine drawers I used.

33D4D9E6-91D3-4258-A915-4666BB265DE6.jpeg

I spent yesterday trimming and prettifying my soaps for an event at our local Tractor Supply Market Day. I just got a card reader so I hope it brings in more sales than last year when I could only take cash. I’m trying to figure out how to upload a photo of my soaps here so you can see the old treadle sewing machine drawers I used.

well you aren't that new at this haha

I find no discoloration with CM, and I don’t slush or freeze it. I use coconut for 100% of the liquid above my 50/50 lye/water masterbatch.
I think it depends also on how you add the CM. Once I added it directly to the lye water and then there was some scorching/discoloration (slight orange). When I use it now I SB it with the oils before adding the lye; I had less discoloration that way.

@Marilyn Norgart, I find tallow to be really nice for a white soap (or tallow/lard mix), you may like it!

I find tallow to be really nice for a white soap (or tallow/lard mix), you may like it!

I have never tried tallow--I wouldn't know where to find it I guess plus I have been real happy with lard. I did add the coconut milk in with the oils and used for replacement except for the 50-50 lye. where do you get tallow from atiz? I would like to try it

I have never tried tallow--I wouldn't know where to find it I guess plus I have been real happy with lard. I did add the coconut milk in with the oils and used for replacement except for the 50-50 lye. where do you get tallow from atiz? I would like to try it
I just got it from Amazon last time. I heard it is not very hard to render from beef trimmings either, if you have access to that. I have not tried that though. But I like lard also.

Not sure then why your soap discolored! FO/EO maybe?

Shipped out Orders today. I May make soap depending on how my back feels tonight.

1St order was for 2 bars of soap
soap bars.jpg

2nd was for another Baby Basket. Took this pic before the shrink wrap and bow as it would have too much glare. The Baby basket has a smaller gift box in the middle with Gifts just for Mom .

basket.jpg

CM does not discolor a soap. It also does NOT LIGHTEN a soap either. So if your oils w/o CM turn an off white, that is what you will get.

If the FO you use discolors soap, CM will also not lighten it either.
just an FYI

Not sure then why your soap discolored! FO/EO maybe?

I did think it looked a bit darker than normal before I added the FO---the green I used looked off too until it gelled and changed to what it was supposed to be. like I said I still like it but with all the white mica I added it should be a pure white--I think I need to make just a naked bar using coconut and see what I get
20190511_141556 (2).jpg

CM does not discolor a soap. It also does NOT LIGHTEN a soap either. So if your oils w/o CM turn an off white, that is what you will get.

If the FO you use discolors soap, CM will also not lighten it either.
just an FYI

my soap is white with out any added white mica--but adding white mica creates a more solid white--I hope you get what I am saying. I have never used the scent I used before but I felt like it was darker before I used the scent, that is why I was wondering if it was the coconut milk--but it doesn't sound like that was why. I will make a naked bar to see what happens
my avitar pic is my soap with no white mica added

Back