What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally got all the soap shrink-wrapped. I have decided I have a love hate relationship with shrink-wrapping. I have been trying to figure out if the heat gun needs to cool down every once in a while. I can be moving along-everything going good--and then bammo. I start getting holes grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the bags I just got don't seem to have an air hole in them so I was clipping a corner off. would it work if I just put a pin through a bunch at one time?
Pull back. As your heat gun gets hotter, pull back to create more distance. I use a pin to create a couple of holes in each "pouch".

Right, I hold my bars by hand and my fingers can feel the heat. When close enough to melt holes into the shrinkwrap, it's also a bit too hot form my fingers. So I gauge distance based on the heat my fingers feel.

that makes sense--my fingers got hot a few times

My Husband has decided my project for tonight. I was going through and weeding out wax tarts from inventory that had faded in scent and he decides he wants me to make him some container candles out of the wax. Ive never made candles before, so wish me luck..

Also cut my loaf of Serenity soap this morning, Better on the tiger stripe but not entry better. Good thing these challenges are a month long...

My Husband has decided my project for tonight. I was going through and weeding out wax tarts from inventory that had faded in scent and he decides he wants me to make him some container candles out of the wax. Ive never made candles before, so wish me luck..

Also cut my loaf of Serenity soap this morning, Better on the tiger stripe but not entry better. Good thing these challenges are a month long...
Wishing you luck!

sorry you aren't feeling well--get better quick!!!
Thanks love :)

Feeling much better so I tidied up my soap supplies area and the dining room, and noticed the bananas in the basket are too soft and overripe to eat. I'm thinking of a banana soleseife, or maybe HP instead.......

Should I? Lol

Feeling much better so I tidied up my soap supplies area and the dining room, and noticed the bananas in the basket are too soft and overripe to eat. I'm thinking of a banana soleseife, or maybe HP instead.......

Should I? Lol
Ewwww.

Banana cake - yes. Banana soap - no.

Last edited:

Should I? Lol
Do both :) I've read somewhere about using banana puree in soap, and you probably wouldn't have to use much, and still have bananas left for muffins or cake.

Home sick from work after being up half the night with awful stomach pains. Feeling better now and I'm contemplating making a couple batches of soap...I'd like to redo my tiger stripe for the challenge, and there are a few other techniques I'd like to try. Cut yesterday's loaf of Cucumber Melon this morning and it turned out spectacular.
You poor thing! I hope you’re back to 100% soon.

The sugars would probably make great lather, but I wouldnt expect it to have much longevity. I guess the question is, “why?” What are you hoping to gain? Is it pure experimentation? Or, does adding banana to soap bring some added benefit that you’ve read about? Nothing wrong with either motive...just wondering.
I think you quoted me by mistake?

I'm thinking of a banana soleseife, or maybe HP instead.......

Banana soap - no.

but I wouldnt expect it to have much longevity.

Banana soap YES! It's lovely. I used 1 oz PPO. I made 4 batches 2 years ago, I still have some of the 4th batch (I made 18 bars of that batch, lol) and no problems aging. Just make sure the banana is well smashed, I used my stick blender to get the chunks out before I added to the oils, and then blended well into the oils before adding lye.
upload_2019-5-9_9-12-5.png

Here's a picture taken of it at 1 year old. (Note: I did not take this picture, it was for a magazine so done by professionals, lol.) What makes it great, the lather, there is a different skin feel - I don't want to say it's moisturizing, but it definitely cleanses differently than my recipe without banana and rinses off nicely. I use animal fats in my soap so I usually feel like there's a bit of a film on my skin (not a bad film, just not squeaky clean), but this didn't leave the film. Which reminds me, I should get this soap out for summer use...

My soapy stuff: I made soap! I got the custom order done and the tiger stripe challenge. It went well-ish. The FO wasn't mean, and the recipe modification was fluid enough that I only had trouble towards the end. My pours were a bit thicker than I wanted, but I wasn't in the most patient mood last night either (irritated with work video conference call). I will probably have another go at it with this recipe. I figured the recipe would stay fluid enough when I opened the master batch container and saw it was liquidy - my regular masterbatch is like pudding right now. I haven't cut either soap yet. They were still warm this morning and a bit soft. I'll have to wait and cut after work. I have the soap itchies right now, so I might work on some embeds if I have time tonight.

I'm thinking of a banana soleseife, or maybe HP instead.......
I have a soaper friend that makes a 'banana milk' and soaps with that all the time. It's lovely. Not sure if you mean banana scented, banana puree or a banana type liquid. Either way, I like the idea...

Latest posts

Back