What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a quick trip 3 hours south to NOLA last night...made it home this afternoon to pour this...
B9D82BBC-1F3A-4674-8F74-1248D368164C.jpeg

I finally figured out the Crafter’s Choice matte lavender conundrum. It disperses in water, not oil. The colors here are “Purple Vibrance” mica, matte lavender aquamarine and “Black Carbon” mica. EOs: lavender, cedarwood, clary sage and bergamot. I discounted the water 5%, used 1-1 masterbatch L/W and replaced half of the remaining water with coconut milk. Amazingly, it behaved remarkably well. In fact, I might have poured a bit thin to achieve the swirl I’m going for. Very excited to cut this one tomorrow.

I also masterbatched about a half gallon of lye and made a run to BigLots! For coconut oil.

I hope you all have a great Sunday.

Last edited:
Made a quick trip 3 hours south to NOLA last night...made it home this afternoon to pour this...
View attachment 38164
I finally figured out the Crafter’s Choice matte lavender conundrum. It disperses in water, not oil. The colors here are “Purple Vibrance” mica, matte lavender and “Black Carbon” mica. EOs: lavender, cedarwood, clary sage and bergamot. I discounted the water 5%, used 1-1 masterbatch L/W and replaced half of the remaining water with coconut milk. Amazingly, it behaved remarkably well. In fact, I might have poured a bit thin to achieve the swirl I’m going for. Very excited to cut this one tomorrow.

I also masterbatched about a half gallon of lye and made a run to BigLots! For coconut oil.

That looks pretty! So the coconut ilk didn't accelerate this time?

View attachment 38164
I finally figured out the Crafter’s Choice matte lavender conundrum. It disperses in water, not oil. The colors here are “Purple Vibrance” mica, matte lavender and “Black Carbon” mica. EOs: lavender, cedarwood, clary sage and bergamot. I discounted the water 5%, used 1-1 masterbatch L/W and replaced half of the remaining water with coconut milk. Amazingly, it behaved remarkably well. In fact, I might have poured a bit thin to achieve the swirl I’m going for. Very excited to cut this one tomorrow.

You're getting good at this half white/half color action thang!

You're getting good at this half white/half color action thang!
We’ll see. The thing that theoretically makes this swirl work and makes it different than the previous one is that instead of a hanger swirl, I swirled from the top with a chopstick. I will use my new slab cutter to slice the loaf in half horizontally, then penny-wise at 2.5” intervals. The result will be 10 bars @ 3.5” wide, 2.5” tall and 1” thick with the color running up only one side of the soap. The inside hopefully (based on what I poured) will be quite a bit darker than the pastels seen on the surface in the photo. Only time will tell.

We’ll see. The thing that theoretically makes this swirl work and makes it different than the previous one is that instead of a hanger swirl, I swirled from the top with a chopstick. I will use my new slab cutter to slice the loaf in half horizontally, then penny-wise at 2.5” intervals. The result will be 10 bars @ 3.5” wide, 2.5” tall and 1” thick with the color running up only one side of the soap. The inside hopefully (based on what I poured) will be quite a bit darker than the pastels seen on the surface in the photo. Only time will tell.
First you do swirls, and now math, too?!

Woot for the new pic @Misschief! Love the hair :)

Today (technically yesterday for me already lol) was all about testing. Every time I needed to wash my hands I tried a different soap ball/piece.

Today's contestants were my beer soap, HP Castile, CP Castile, a high cocoa and shea bar, a high canola bar, and a two month old soleseife.

Yesterday, I made a batch of solid shampoo bars (syndet). I'm not really happy with how they came out; let's just call them rustic.
A lot of them do come out rustic, and is the nature of the beast. Mine I can get fairly smooth, but to make them where they pour smooth they tend to be melty. If you are using SCI especially the noodles I find it works better to grind them in a coffee grinder. I personally purchase SCI in powder form

I recant to mention, I also bought 91% alcohol and sprayed 3 times
Yesterday, I made a batch of solid shampoo bars (syndet). I'm not really happy with how they came out; let's just call them rustic.[/QUOTE
I’m diggin’ the new profile pic

Used one of the FOs that I got from @jblaney in her recent destash - Honey Bee from Soapalooza - to make a batch today. It smells amazing!! We'll see how the inside comes out...I used some yellow mica and AC to make lines in the bottom half and then the soap jumped from medium trace to piping consistency in about 2 minutes! So that became a very slopped together 2-color "ITP" swirl (I had to mix with a spatula so much that it probably won't come out like one). I think it will turn out nice on the inside, though!!

Soapalooza doesn't really list how their FOs perform as well as some of my other usual suppliers do (Nurture, for example) and I think I just got overly confident when it stayed workable for a nice drop/chopstick swirl on the bottom half. It got hard FAST so I'm excited to cut it and see how it turned out!!

ETA: I just now realized I forgot to add the remainder of my liquid amount after measuring out my masterbatched lye solution. Bet that 50% lye concentration didn't help!!!! Oh well!

I recant to mention, I also bought 91% alcohol and sprayed 3 times
First you do swirls, and now math, too?!
Oh, yes, I have went to college and got edgumacated. Truth be told, I probably over-think everything: life, faith, existence, soap... you name it.

View attachment 38164
I finally figured out the Crafter’s Choice matte lavender conundrum. It disperses in water, not oil. The colors here are “Purple Vibrance” mica, matte lavender aquamarine and “Black Carbon” mica. EOs: lavender, cedarwood, clary sage and bergamot. I discounted the water 5%, used 1-1 masterbatch L/W and replaced half of the remaining water with coconut milk. Amazingly, it behaved remarkably well. In fact, I might have poured a bit thin to achieve the swirl I’m going for. Very excited to cut this one tomorrow.

What you mean a “quick 3 hour drive” ? That’s an eternity for me. One day friend, one day I’ll be able to say the same.

Latest posts

Back