What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my first ever cold process last night and I get to cut it tonight. I enjoyed it so much but I hated washing the dishes after a necessary evil I suppose lol

Attachments

• IMG_20190401_200834.jpg
    IMG_20190401_200834.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 54
Does your wife not like the rose water, or are you giving the extras? My mom loves hers.. I'd like it better if it didn't smell the way it does lol but we like touching our faces after using it as a toner hehehe
I/we frankly never tried the waters. People often give me items thinking I can use them in soap. I just never researched it. My 'go to' CP soap recipes and lotion bar recipes don't call for waters so I gave them to someone who can make use of them.

I made my first ever cold process last night and I get to cut it tonight. I enjoyed it so much but I hated washing the dishes after a necessary evil I suppose lol
It is a pain, but set them aside for a day or two, and all the gunk will turn to soap, so you can wash it away. Little Jell-O shot plastic cups are great for mixing prefixing colors. Then you just chunk ‘em

Last edited:
Some of you may have ascertained that I’m not much for sitting around the house. Well, I’m stuck at home today with a wine-tasting-related injury (Yeah, I’m making that a thing.) I’m supposed to be lying about with my foot elevated, so what did I do to while away the hours?
  1. Lined pretty much every mold in my house
  2. Trimmed up my hotel soaps and almost every other untrimmed soap on the shelf
  3. Masterbatched lye
  4. Ordered mica and castor oil

Attachments

• AACFEFF4-1272-4F04-9B31-715587F523FC.jpeg
    AACFEFF4-1272-4F04-9B31-715587F523FC.jpeg
    441.5 KB · Views: 45
Some of you may have ascertained that I’m not much for sitting around the house. Well, I’m stuck at home today with a wine-tasting-related injury (Yeah, I’m making that a thing.) I’m supposed to be lying about with my foot elevated, so what did I do to while away the hours?
  1. Lined pretty much every mold in my house
  2. Trimmed up my hotel soaps and almost every other untrimmed soap on the shelf
  3. Masterbatched lye
  4. Ordered mica and castor oil
May I borrow that? A wine-tasting related injury?? Lovely soap!

Made a (small) master batch of lye. My first time making a solution (unaided) and I guess my first time master batching! Hoping to FINALLY make soap this Friday! Going to try two different recipes I think.

Got everything ready for my third attempt at a corner pour.

Hopefully third time's the charm.

No additives and I'm gonna hand mix the heck out of this even if it takes me all afternoon coz I don't want a repeat of the last two times when I could barely pour....

Edit: I think I did it!
_20190403_141854.JPG

A few of you might notice what big mistake I made lol

Last edited:

No additives and I'm gonna hand mix the heck out of this even if it takes me all afternoon coz I don't want a repeat of the last two times when I could barely pour....

View attachment 38070
Wow! Way to go Dawni!

I got my sea water out of the freezer and boiled it all, passed it through a coffee filter ( thanks to @SaltedFig for that idea) - do you know how hard it is to find coffee filters these days? It's all this barista coffee we all drink nowadays. I then weighed out small portions and put it into little plastic baggies in the freezer so I can use it for future soaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Made a small single soap tester for indigo in soap.
Made a whole batch using same proportion or indigo and have a midnight coloured soap (about 10 times darker than the tester).
Made another 1/2 batch and reduced the indigo to a 1/4 of the amount uses in tester and it is still too dark but is now green.
Not the colour of any of the testers.
Am hoping it will cure pale.
Natural colours will send me around the bend.

I got my sea water out of the freezer and boiled it all, passed it through a coffee filter ( thanks to @SaltedFig for that idea) - do you know how hard it is to find coffee filters these days? It's all this barista coffee we all drink nowadays. I then weighed out small portions and put it into little plastic baggies in the freezer so I can use it for future soaps.
Sorry I missed a few days, why are you doing this?

Sorry I missed a few days, why are you doing this?
I've had the sea water for ages PJ - just hadn't got around to doing it yet. It all started with Zany's No-Slime Castile with the faux seawater, and i thought - well, why do I need faux when the sea is only 35 minutes drive away? SO I collected a large bottleful. I am heading out there again on Friday and will probably get some more. Kinda gimmicky i guess - but I like the thought of having real seawater in my soap.

Made a small single soap tester for indigo in soap.
Made a whole batch using same proportion or indigo and have a midnight coloured soap (about 10 times darker than the tester).
Made another 1/2 batch and reduced the indigo to a 1/4 of the amount uses in tester and it is still too dark but is now green.
Not the colour of any of the testers.
Am hoping it will cure pale.
Natural colours will send me around the bend.
Lols me too but I love em! In the soap I posted above, the grey was supposed to be a darker blue, but was actually supposed to be purple considering it's ratanjot, which is similar to alkanet.

I have to review my infusions.. Maybe I'm using too little of the colorant.

The annatto worked well though, and it's only been a week :)

You gonna show us the soaps @penelopejane? :D

View attachment 38070
I think it looks great. What’s the brownish green with specks in it? I looks like goldenseal to me.

Latest posts

Back