What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today's 'soapy thing' isn't anything I did (well, I did fondly fondle my recent soap batch & took pix, but... yeah), but something my wife said. When I first started making CP soap, she apologized and said that she'd been using Dove for 50 years and she would never give it up. I did some research & made a batch I call Two Pigeons (because it's a dove clone!) (I originally called it 16 Gauge, because I told my wife it would be a Dove killer; she was not amused...). Anyway, today she told me she'd been using the first bar of Two Pigeons for a few weeks now and she liked it... said she might like it better than Dove.

I felt pretty warm and fuzzy, hearing that!

She did mention that she wished it smelled like the green Dove she uses, and I told her I'd try to replicate it.

Edited to correct misremembered soap name.
That's interesting ~ Dove was the last brand I used before I made the switch to homemade soaps. As I recall, it didn't cause any reactions, but when I did break out it didn't really help either so I finally gave up soap. I do miss it sometimes and wonder what would happen if I ever used a bar again. Maybe I'll give Two Pigeons a try ~ after all, I haven't tried a tallow recipe yet 🤔😄

Today's soapy thing was 1 batch on plain Boerseep and rendering and purifying tallow. I really dislke the rendering and purifying - it takes ages! At least I still had enough tallow for 1 batch left - so that I can at least feel like am actually making soap and not just cooking fat all the time,

Today's 'soapy thing' isn't anything I did (well, I did fondly fondle my recent soap batch & took pix, but... yeah), but something my wife said. When I first started making CP soap, she apologized and said that she'd been using Dove for 50 years and she would never give it up. I did some research & made a batch I call Two Pigeons (because it's a dove clone!) (I originally called it 16 Gauge, because I told my wife it would be a Dove killer; she was not amused...). Anyway, today she told me she'd been using the first bar of Two Pigeons for a few weeks now and she liked it... said she might like it better than Dove.

I felt pretty warm and fuzzy, hearing that!

She did mention that she wished it smelled like the green Dove she uses, and I told her I'd try to replicate it.

Edited to correct misremembered soap name.
Dude! No to the pigeons! You've GOT to change the name back to 16 Gauge!! It's the perfect name!

I've shared my Dove story a thousand times but you're new so I'll repeat it. For decades, I had skin issues -- not disabling but extremely annoying. Every dermatologist recommended Dove Sensitive which I used for decades. And I purchased every OTC lotion and potion to no avail. When I started making soap and lotion bars, I had no idea that it would drastically improve my skin health. It also improved my budget because I went from applying a prescription several times per day to per year. Now on the rare occasion I have to use commercial soap, it feels caustic, including Dove. So I am not surprised to hear you converted your wife. Great story and thanks for sharing it.

Last edited:
Dude! No to the pigeons! You've GOT to change the name back to 16 Gauge!! It's the perfect name!

I've shared my Dove story a thousand times but you're new so I'll repeat it. For decades, I had skin issues -- not disabling but extremely annoying. Every dermatologist recommended Dove Sensitive which I used for decades. And I purchased every OTC lotion and potion to no avail. When I started making soap and lotion bars, I had no idea that it would drastically improve my skin health. It also improved my budget because I went from applying a prescription several times per day to per year. Now on the rare occasion I have to use commercial soap, it feels caustic, including Dove. So I am not surprised to hear you converted your wife. Great story and thanks for sharing it.
I've only been using homemade soap for a couple of months, but I do think I'm seeing improvement in my eczema. I think my skin may be healing on its own because it's finally not being antagonized every day...

Today I did mold prep prep. A few weeks ago I made a wooden mold, which I love. However, I don't love trying to fold freezer paper into it. It's too fiddly for me, and it makes my anxiety creep up a notch. I recently read a book wherein the soap maker described how she uses foam blocks that fit her wooden molds. She wraps the blocks with the freezer paper as if she's wrapping a present, leaving one side un-folded. She slides the entire affair into the mold, then pulls the foam block out, leaving the paper neatly lining the mold. I have no foam, but I have a lot of cardboard, so I fabricated a box that fits in the mold. I'll wrap it as she did her foam block. This first model may not work perfectly as it fits the mold a tiny bit too tightly, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get it out! But now I know how to make it, and the next one I make shouldn't take me 20 minutes!

Attachments

• PXL_20230709_165358394.jpg
    PXL_20230709_165358394.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 0
@Servant4Christ 8th & Ocean is strong and sticks very well in my soap, but I find that it causes a wee bit of acceleration in some of my recipes. I’ve been making a bunch of charcoal soap lately for a special order and all of it has gotten a wee bit ashy regardless of the FO.
Ash on charcoal soap is not something I've experienced yet, which is why I made this batch with lard instead of palm to see if that is the crucial factor. The FO was just to use a sample and see how I (and my allergies) like the smell. I used it at 3% and it smells lovely (without triggering my allergies), at least from what I can smell from outside the mold that's still under towels.

Today I did mold prep prep. A few weeks ago I made a wooden mold, which I love. However, I don't love trying to fold freezer paper into it. It's too fiddly for me, and it makes my anxiety creep up a notch. I recently read a book wherein the soap maker described how she uses foam blocks that fit her wooden molds. She wraps the blocks with the freezer paper as if she's wrapping a present, leaving one side un-folded. She slides the entire affair into the mold, then pulls the foam block out, leaving the paper neatly lining the mold. I have no foam, but I have a lot of cardboard, so I fabricated a box that fits in the mold. I'll wrap it as she did her foam block. This first model may not work perfectly as it fits the mold a tiny bit too tightly, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get it out! But now I know how to make it, and the next one I make shouldn't take me 20 minutes!
Oh, what a great use for those blocks of styrofoam that sometimes make it into the house as packing materials in boxes. When I first started soaping my 1 lb test mold was a card box from an old Trivial Pursuit game. It was super easy to cover the inner part of the box with parchment paper and then slip the liner into the outer box. I missed the ease of that, but it never occurred to me to make a block that fits snugly in the mold. So smart!

today she told me she'd been using the first bar of Two Pigeons for a few weeks now and she liked it... said she might like it better than Dove.
WooHoo.gif
Well. done!
I think we all know how challenging it is to convert our biggest competitor... DOVE bars!!! I did it years ago with a transparent soap I named Naked Dove because it had all the qualities of Dove without the nasty ingredients.
I now have a wild solution for cavity mold confusion that I will share with pics, soonish (There was a reason I spent all that time on Pinterest 😂).
Waiting patiently...
Pacing Cat.gif

Today I cut my first attempt for the Soap Challenge, which I entered for the very first time! I’m so intimidated and a little terrified….please don’t laugh if you happen to see my soap on Amy’s website. 😁 But I want to challenge myself and this will definitely do it!

On that note….my second attempt would also fit the criteria for this month’s SMF challenge. Am I allowed to enter one soap into both contests? I mean, does SMF allow it? (On the SC side, it’s not a blind challenge this month, so I’m guessing it’s ok.)

Made a salt soap for the first time today : )

I had my 6 bar cavity mold out but as I was sitting there with everything else ready to go as my lye cooled down, I decided I wasn't going to be afraid of some silly soap and grabbed a 4x4 silicone mold instead.

rocky-iv-dolph-lundgren.gif

Well, it cut nicely at 1:45 after pouring. No death, destruction, or crumbles. The bars are colorful, smell wonderful, and are exactly what I wanted. Don't be afraid >: )

Hmm, well the extra soap batter from my charcoal gone wrong soap went into single cavity molds and I just unmolded them. The glops are much lighter in color than the rest. Not sure if there will be an actual texture difference until I unmold the log and cut it. No ash yet that I can see.

Today I cut my first attempt for the Soap Challenge, which I entered for the very first time! I’m so intimidated and a little terrified….please don’t laugh if you happen to see my soap on Amy’s website. 😁 But I want to challenge myself and this will definitely do it!

On that note….my second attempt would also fit the criteria for this month’s SMF challenge. Am I allowed to enter one soap into both contests? I mean, does SMF allow it? (On the SC side, it’s not a blind challenge this month, so I’m guessing it’s ok.)
Congratulations on taking the big step of entering the Soap Challenge! Who knows, you might just win or place, and if not you will learn something which is still a win.

According to our rule #6, your soap can’t be posted anywhere until it’s posted in our challenge entry thread.

I finished my day by clearing a few shelves of old National Geographics (moved into storage!) and I now have my first three months worth of soap, except for what I've given away, in one dry and airy place.

-=-

for the sharp-eyed among you... my wife used to work in doctors' offices and brought home a lot of promo gifts from drug companies over the years...

Attachments

• PXL_20230709_231155943.jpg
    PXL_20230709_231155943.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230709_231208488.jpg
    PXL_20230709_231208488.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 0
Hmm, well the extra soap batter from my charcoal gone wrong soap went into single cavity molds and I just unmolded them. The glops are much lighter in color than the rest. Not sure if there will be an actual texture difference until I unmold the log and cut it. No ash yet that I can see.
The glops are near white in color and a much different texture. The spots almost feel like rebatch, if that makes sense. That'll teach me patience, alright. No more high temp soaping for me.

Entering the SCC challenge fo the first time is the hardest. I never enter with a thought of winning, and have learned that getting zero votes is perfectly fine. It’s a nice and supportive group of people and I wish you the best of luck.

Aside from what @Mobjack Bay said about posting before the entry thread opens, as someone who regularly enters the SCC, I would never consider entering the same soap in both challenges. A lot of the time one soap wouldn’t qualify for both of the challenges, but it seems like a soap should be made specifically for the challenge it is entered in. At least to me.

Back