Colloidal Silver or Copper in Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaintyLiz

Reaction score
Hi All

I'm interested in possibly incorporating silver or copper into a batch of soap. I thought if I made colloidal version I could use it in the water, but I guess that's not a good idea since I would assume both would be reactive to lye.

I searched & there was an old thread asking about incorporating silver, but not really any good answers or info except Zany in Co who posted some info, but the link was gone (I REALLY MISS ZANY IN CO, censorship seems rampant everywhere these days, but I digress) The original poster never said if they figured out how to make the soap or not, so no help there.

Thought maybe I could make colloidal copper, then evaporate the water out & leave the copper 'dust'? if that would even be a thing? I'd certainly start with copper as it's cheap. Mix it in at trace? Even though the lye is still active?

Anyhooo has anyone incorporated silver/copper into the soaps for therapeutic benefit, not for decoration? I'd love to hear your experience & suggestions.

Thanks!
Liz

Both silver and copper are metals, and metal contamination is a very common cause of DOS in soap.

Soap is also a wash-off product that doesn't remain on the skin very long, so additives are typically more for label appeal than anything. Adding silver or cooper to a lotion or balm might be a better option for you to consider.

I don't have knowledge about the suitability of silver for use in soap. When ionized, it's a monovalent ion, so it might be okay, but I don't know that to be true.

You absolutely do not want to add copper to soap unless you want a rancid mess rather than decent soap.

Well, that's disappointing. I don't make lotions. (yet?)
If I do any successful experiments, I'll let you know.

huh, I put everyones' comments as 'quotes' but they didn't show up - anyway - thanks

It took me awhile to figure out this multi-step process, as well!

After you highlight the desired section in the other person's message and click "Quote," next you start a new message and click Insert Quote.

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 10.43.49 AM.png

That will bring up a pop-up box where you must click Quote Message to actually insert it.

Screenshot 2024-05-20 at 10.44.31 AM.png

Latest posts

Back