Storing Micas and Powders

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainycityjen

Reaction score
I was organizing my soap cupboards last night, and was frustrated by how messy it looks to have lots of loose baggies of colorants/additives. They are all in different sorts of baggies: some press-seal baggies from suppliers, some of my own Ziploc bags, some grocery-style plastic bags with twist ties. Also some are covered in residue from whatever is in the bag.

Do you repackage your loose powdery additives in your own containers? What kind of containers do you use? And generally, how do you minimize mess from the really fine powders?

PS -- drool-worthy soap studio inspiration:
676a65a09389f1245d44b8f342a604c1.jpg

I just started transferring my bagged micas to plastic jars. I just added some 8oz jars with stackable lids to my last order from WSP and they work well for that.

I keep my clays, indigo, micas & powdered colorants in bags, but fold them so that their label shows and sort of file them in a divided whisky box my hubby gave me. It has a glass top and works nice for my little collection.

Now if I could only find something better than a cardboard box for my EO collection....

I keep my clays, indigo, micas & powdered colorants in bags, but fold them so that their label shows and sort of file them in a divided whisky box my hubby gave me. It has a glass top and works nice for my little collection.

Now if I could only find something better than a cardboard box for my EO collection....

I got this from Ikea for my larger FO bottles....the small ones are in a couple of shoe boxes. I love this cart!
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30216536/

I put all my mica and oxides into the new square/rectangle baby food containers. They work perfect for the small amounts those powders usually come in and they stack easily. Piece they are clear you can easily see the color and I place the product label on top. And as a bonus, their free! I built shelves to hold them all (I'll send a pic later). System works great for me.

I put clays, pumice, loofah, colloidal oatmeal, basically anything not a colorant, in these little jars. 99 cents from World Market. Then again, I don't have that many. My micas and pigments are in one big plastic drawer of a 3-drawer rolling cart thingy I keep under the kitchen island.

20150102_194600.jpg

I put clays, pumice, loofah, colloidal oatmeal, basically anything not a colorant, in these little jars. 99 cents from World Market. Then again, I don't have that many. My micas and pigments are in one big plastic drawer of a 3-drawer rolling cart thingy I keep under the kitchen island.

I just went to World Market earlier this week and looks like I'm going back again. Everything is better in a jar. (Pretty much the motto of Pinterest)

Oooohhhh!! I love this cart, Nav! It looks like it has a nice sturdy base plus it's on wheels (I'm crazy about storage with wheels). I'm definitely going to check it out next time I'm at IKEA. Thanks for the info! :thumbup:

Krista, it's very heavy and sturdy, and rolls smoothly. I've been very happy with it, just what I'd been looking for.

I have that Raskog cart from Ikea too! I use it in my paper crafting room! I absolutely LOVE it!

At any rate, I transfer everything that comes in a bag to a container, and slap a label on it so I know what's inside. So much easier to see what I have on hand at a glance.

I use a garden cart too and it works great. I then turned our guest room into an office/craft room and added a couple vegetable drying racks to hold the rest of the supplies and drying soap. It is going to be time to expand again soon. I have to store the lye which is on its way, have oils all over my kitchen, and I have at least two orders of parafinalia in transit I need a dedicated craft room! I feel like I have been possessed by a demon. I do need to come up with a plan and the closet looks great! A closet soaper! Lol!
I do transfer powders to mason jars when ordering in bulk if it is in bags. The small stuff I found little containers that stack made by rubbermade.

Back