SMF May Challenge- Interpretation, not Imitation

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, first try is in the mold. It didn't go as planned, so I'm sure there will be another go in my near future. I can't say it was due to anything other than skill, or rather lack of. I did make a little extra batter to test Sweet Cakes Sandalwood FO, and am happy to report that it did not accelerate at all with 40% lye solution.

My soap is in the oven. It was a bit of a disaster from start to finish. I don’t think I will be doing another one, but I learnt a lot. If I do itv will be much simpler.

I used 33% Lye concentration and took too long which meant my batter turned to hard too quickly. I forgot to divide the lye in half so all my batter had to survive the extended fiddly colour parts. I couldn’t do the hanger swirl I had planned so I think it is going to be too landscapy rather than abstract.

I also realized I needed less confetti half way through which meant I ran out of batter and had to make another small lot half way through – after I had dirtied every soap bowl in the house.

I would also like to congratulate all of you people who make the videos every month and look so very calm and organised. If I took a video of me soaping it would be a comedy/cringe of me running around like a demented chicken.

Last edited:
I watched your instructional video. Thanks so much for posting it newbie, I am definitely going to try it. Always nice to learn a new technique.

I "liked" your post penelopejane because it made me smile as I was picturing you "running around like a demented chicken" :D
I hope you do have another go, I want to see it!

I have a germ of an idea formulating in my brain and will have a go at it this weekend. The soap in my head is beautiful - which means it's most likely way beyond my skill level. But I'm going to have fun trying.

I'm glad people got something out of the scale/feather pour. I was afraid it would be too dull to bear!

Well, I'm hoping you will get a pleasant surprise from your soap, PJ! I know that feeling though and it's utterly deflating. Every now and then though you get something much better than you expect. It would actually be fun to see videos of soapers in the midst of disaster! No one posts those though.

Finally watched your second video, newbie. Beatific soap! And as a fellow potty mouth, nothing endears someone to me more than some well-placed salty language

I "liked" your post penelopejane because it made me smile as I was picturing you "running around like a demented chicken" :D
I hope you do have another go, I want to see it!

Well, I'm hoping you will get a pleasant surprise from your soap, PJ! I know that feeling though and it's utterly deflating. Every now and then though you get something much better than you expect. It would actually be fun to see videos of soapers in the midst of disaster! No one posts those though.

I am going to submit my entry! My very first submission. It is quite far from what I was envisioning but it reflects an abstract of the photo and I was pretty pleased with that at least. I don't think I will have time for another. Thank you for the encouragement.

Last edited:
My first "fail" is collecting soda ash right now. I came home, no soda ash on the top of my loaf, but a half hour later.... :rolleyes:

My last accent color thickened too quickly. I think it's due to a lack of patience for my lye temp. I have a plan for my next batch which will hopefully be tomorrow

I haven't tested BB's Vetyver in a low water recipe, and I'm wondering if anyone has. I'd like to use a 40% lye concentration. Vetyver is reported to be well behaving, but if no one can confirm I'll do a tester before I use it for a whole batch. I need working time for my next attempt plan.

I didn't think I'd have time today to do a FO test batch, but it turns out I did! 40% lye, 50% lard and BB Vetyver and Crisp Apple Rose seemed to be good, and also Sweet Cakes Ginger Essence and Orange Blossom. Just FYI. I'll add to the fragrance oil chart when I test a full batch.

My first attempt is now in the oven - first time CPOPing. Used lower lye concentration also - trying to compensate for the freezing cold weather leaking into the house. Wood heater is "toast" and has to be replaced which was meant to happen last week.

Anyhoo ... I have been smitten all week with the fourth bird, the elegant Grey Crowned Crane. She is utterly gorgeous. I imagine her as a very modish gowned lady bedecked with an attention-drawing plumed hat. I even tried to google images of this lady in my head but couldn't exactly find her.

I love the soft muted colours with the grey tones - I chose the green of the grass, the brown/purple of her tail feathers, and two of the grey shades on her body. Hopefully I managed something close. I was hoping to re-create the elegance of the photo using the soft colours and merging them with a feathery skewered swirl. I used a divider in my 10" silicone mould for the first time and forgot how tricky pulling those things out can be. So I made a bit of a mess of that. Still, I'm hopeful.

The first photo is the mess I made when I yanked out the middle divider with a pair of pliers. And the second is me trying to make something lovely out of the mess. I don't think it will look at all sleek and calm like I envisioned but I have another idea about that if I try again next weekend. In fact ... the brain's ticking already ... :D

2016-05-07 070.jpg

2016-05-07 088.jpg

I love it in the mold, Suzie!

Just a reminder to not post any pics of your finished soap if that soap will be your entry, which you may remember just fine without me, but I figure better safe than sorry.

Thanks newbie, no I didn't remember that so I'm glad you reminded me :)

I checked the soap this morning and unfortunately it has cracks on the top (not too severe - can be fixed), but the purple has turned into a colour I wasn't expecting - one which isn't in the picture at all. That's the trouble with the purple, you don't know what it will look like until it's done saponifying. I didn't add enough red and black to it I think. So it won't be my entry soap as it doesn't qualify, but I'll see this as an opportunity to play with colours during the week and have another go next weekend.

This is fun! :D

Last edited:
1. Sonya-m - no clue where I'm going with this yet but excited to see where I end up!
2. MySoapyHeart. *Puts on safetygear, cracks fingers, stares into camera* Ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille...
3. Penelopejane - I'd really, really like to put up an entry for this challenge. It's colours though so I'm not sure...
4. Navaria- gonna sign up so I can at least vote, time permitting I'll participate. Gonna be crazy this month!
5. maya- I'm with Navaria on this. I will see if I have enough time. But I realllllllllly wanna!
6. LisaAnne I know what I want to do and if I can't pull it off it will one very ugly soap. Which is fine, I make lots of those.
7. dibbles - Dusting off my thinking cap...
8. Steve85569 - No idea but I know I'll make a couple of batches for this ..
9. snappyllama- Am I the only one worried that I'll pick one inspiration picture but my soap will be suited for a different one?
10. KristaY-My creative light bulb needs higher wattage for this one.....
11. mzimm- I'm an idiot with colors, and a kindergartener in technique....sounds like two perfect reasons to join in!
12. doriettefarm - I'm pretty stoked about this challenge after reading the rules and seeing the inspiration pics. There's a technique I've been wanting to try that lends itself perfectly to one of the pics . . . plus I've got all the right colors!
13. Judiraz- It may take all month to figure this out! #13 wasn't good last month...hope I have better luck in May
14. BlackDog - Nothing to be ashamed of, newbie, I have a wookie at my house too.
15. Lisajudy2009 - I'm going to try it!
16. TeresaT - I think I have found my "Pollock" challenge. Yay, me!!!
17. kc1ble - I told myself I would get in on this month's challenge...before I knew what it was Yikes! At least it can be abstract.
18. SuzieOz - Oh my goodness, did I really just do this ... ????? Bring it on!!
19. BattleGnome - I'm broke but apparently need to order colors
20. MissChief - I wasn't gonna but I can't vote if I don't
21. Lenarenee - fantastic challenge idea!
22. CaraBou - I've never seen a bird I didn't like - Soap, don't fail me now!
23. mintle - will fly or crash, hehe
icon_smile.gif

24. Cathy Gordon - 1st time for everything. Time to fly.
25. jules92207 - love the inspired feel off this challenge - failure or not, I need to soap more anyway!
26. AMD - Feeling a bit bird-brained anyways...
27. Saponista - This is going to be a tough one for me, I'm not very good at abstract interpretation type challenges. I will give it my best shot though!

Thanks newbie, no I didn't remember that so I'm glad you reminded me :)

I checked the soap this morning and unfortunately it has cracks on the top (not too severe - can be fixed), but the purple has turned into a colour I wasn't expecting - one which isn't in the picture at all. That's the trouble with the purple, you don't know what it will look like until it's done saponifying. I didn't add enough red and black to it I think. So it won't be my entry soap as it doesn't qualify, but I'll see this as an opportunity to play with colours during the week and have another go next weekend.

This is fun! :D

SuzieOz,
You can put photos on here if you aren't going to submit them.
I haven't put my attempt up here because I am going to submit it!

SuzieOz,
You can put photos on here if you aren't going to submit them.
I haven't put my attempt up here because I am going to submit it!

Ok got it, thanks. I thought I had all the rules worked out but not quite.

I'll post a pic of the "fail" when I get it out of the mould - it's still really soft. I've been having trouble with soft soap lately - does it happen if you stick blend too much does anyone know? I think I'm getting too much air into them - is that possible? It's a new stick blender I'm trying to get used to. Or is it the cold weather? I just don't know.

Latest posts

Back