SMF March 2017 Challenge- Black Background Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just happy that you are excited about your entry!!

I'm just so excited to cut it up... I really haven't tried much when it comes to "designs". I usually just do one colour and call it a day. So these challenges have been a wonderful way to get the creative juices flowing. I now understand the excitement and impatience of waiting to cut open a loaf to reveal the designs inside!

I am discovering that photographing these soaps is harder than the ones for the gradient challenge! Getting the colors bright enough and keeping the black looking black... I either get colors that are indistinguishable and deep black, or perfect colors and charcoal gray. I may have to tweak a little to get the pictures to match the actual soap bars.

I am discovering that photographing these soaps is harder than the ones for the gradient challenge! Getting the colors bright enough and keeping the black looking black... I either get colors that are indistinguishable and deep black, or perfect colors and charcoal gray. I may have to tweak a little to get the pictures to match the actual soap bars.

Yeah, a quick contrast pass in Photoshop would definitely benefit black soap!

Nope.... I added fragrance to the oils before adding lye. May be I should specify that I added ac to water and micas to oil.. water is not extra but removed a lil that has to be mixed with lye from the recipe. I will let the soap stay in th for another day or till it gets absorbed I suppose.

Steve also mentioned adding the FO to the oils before the lye. What are the benefits or cons to this?

Thanks. I am learning all sort of things of this thread!

Steve also mentioned adding the FO to the oils before the lye. What are the benefits or cons to this?

Thanks. I am learning all sort of things of this thread!

Honestly, i do that so that I need not worry about it at trace. I add it to the oils and hand blend it, if I find the fragrance accelerates, I can make a quick transfer to moulds if not, I would do my planned design.

The AC part turning brown sounds like it has to be something with the FO. Which fragrance did you use and which supplier?

Newbie and soapapprentice,
You were right! The FO was very vanilla from Eroma in Australia.
I knew (from research) that it discoloured but I always use a discolouring FO with this recipe and haven't had a problem before. This one turned the black brown and it is still brown. :twisted:

Honestly, i do that so that I need not worry about it at trace. I add it to the oils and hand blend it, if I find the fragrance accelerates, I can make a quick transfer to moulds if not, I would do my planned design.

Thanks! So adding to the oils can cause acceleration, right?

I made this for the challenge, but thought they would not fir it, as they are more like black and white, so I figure I post them here. They are melt and pour soap base.

Not%20the%20Black%20Vhallenge032017%201_zpslmne6icb.jpg

Not%20the%20Black%20Vhallenge032017%202_zpsffpetqpi.jpg

Thanks! You actually read my mind. I incorporated some hot pink to get a sunset effect, but my soap was drying so quickly I need to stop.

What is the last day to register? Alaska was resoundingly bright, yet the darkness here still baits. If I can soap before deadline I will register,
despite goth probabilities.

What is the last day to register? Alaska was resoundingly bright, yet the darkness here still baits. If I can soap before deadline I will register,
despite goth probabilities.

The entry thread closes March 25th at midnight, so I guess until then? I didn't see anything in the rules about a last day for sign up. But I am sleep deprived, so maybe missed something. Insomnia sucks.

Last edited:
Back