SMF February Challenge - Spin Swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the BB one and love it. Get the optional liner if you get that one. I tried to save a little money but kept poking holes in my freezer paper when I put in the dividers. The lid doesn't fit on securely with the optional silicon liner, it still works.

Sonya, where can I get the divider you are using? Did you make the wood mold or purchase it. It looks like it made 9 bar which is plenty for me. I'm going to sign up and hope I can get that liner or something similar.

I welcome all suggestions and sources. Thanks!

I don't actually use a divider. It is a 9 bar slab (18 when I do this technique though as I make a double batch so I can cut them all in half). I manually cut them to size using a ruler and a knife.

1. traderbren - (am I really first? Can I plant an earworm? Cuz this challenge will spin me right round baby, right round)
2. MySoapyHeart (Never done this, I don`thave the right mold. Sure, sign me up!)
3. Misschief (wasn't going to...nope, nope... oh, what the heck!)
4. McGraysoldtowngifts (Insert witty comment here)
5. KCHaystack (Time to take my new mold out for another spin)
6. dibbles (I'll give it a whirl. Yes, I said that.)
7. doriettefarm (here's hoping I don't end up with soap all over the walls & ceiling, wheee!)
8. Judiraz ( I can use color, right? Thank Goodness!)
9. BlackDog (yay! no more black soap!)
10. Steve85569 ( not going to put myself through that this month! On my way back from the shop with fresh built mold - may as well....)
11. Snappyllama (sweet, I love spin swirls!)
12. AMD - what could possibly go wrong?
13. Crispysoap (first challenge and first slab mold......what was I thinking!)
14. TheDragonGirl (Good excuse to build that slab mold I really want)
15. Mrs Spaceship (This should be easy enough...right...right??)
16.JuneP (hope I can get one of those molds/dividers so I can do this!)
17. mintle (will definitely wear two sets of protective glasses for this crazy spinning one)

1. traderbren - (am I really first? Can I plant an earworm? Cuz this challenge will spin me right round baby, right round)
2. MySoapyHeart (Never done this, I don`thave the right mold. Sure, sign me up!)
7. doriettefarm (here's hoping I don't end up with soap all over the walls & ceiling, wheee!)
10. Steve85569 ( not going to put myself through that this month! On my way back from the shop with fresh built mold - may as well....)
17. mintle (will definitely wear two sets of protective glasses for this crazy spinning one)
18. navigator9 (Finally getting off my lazy, retired butt.....I'm in!)

Snow day today! And my soaping buddy let me borrow some lye until my shipment comes in, so oils are cooling for attempt #1! Woot! Snow day = soap day!

Ah the joys of working remotely... there's almost 2 feet outside (and still snowing) but no snow day for me. I'm actually rather surprised the school is closed today. They never close for snow. They've only closed once in the last 6 years when it was -20F in the morning, and they couldn't get the buildings warm enough.... plus the fear of little kids getting frostbite while waiting for a bus.

Ah the joys of working remotely... there's almost 2 feet outside (and still snowing) but no snow day for me. I'm actually rather surprised the school is closed today. They never close for snow. They've only closed once in the last 6 years when it was -20F in the morning, and they couldn't get the buildings warm enough.... plus the fear of little kids getting frostbite while waiting for a bus.

Really? When we lived in Maryland/Virginia school was closed before a single flake of snow was even spotted!! Naturally there were a few times when both the weather forecasters and school officials were very embarrassed by their decisions!

Quick question about the spin swirl challenge...are we required to pour the soap in "circles", or can we try something different?

We're not getting all that much snow but the wind speeds are creating a ground blizzard.

I'm staying at my parents' because they're on vacation and I'm pet sitting, so I don't have all my colorants/fragrances with me, otherwise I would probably do another one today! I'm happy to report the first one went smoothly and was really fun to do! I was actually super nervous for some reason lol. My hands were shaking when I was pouring!

ETA: also, my parents have a MUCH nicer and larger kitchen than I do, and boy that really makes a difference!

Nope you can pour however you like but you MUST spin after pouring.

Gotcha, thanks. I can't wait to see how this comes out. I dug up my old slab mold that I made when I first started soaping and lined it with freezer paper. I couldn't believe I still had any of that hanging around, it's been so long since I used it, and I've decided on my colors. Just have to run to Costco for some olive oil, and I'll be spinning later today! Wish me luck.

Actually I found a 9 bar on his site; but it has to be custom made and I'm not sure I will get it in time. I have a small, square, soft silicone baking pan with a wire metal outside holder, so I think I'll use that for this challenge. I'll just have to measure it and figure out how much oil I need for that. I will order his and maybe it will come fairly quickly. Thanks for your input.

My 9 bar came from Heritage Workshop on etsy - but they do not have one listed at the moment. Maybe you can contact them and see if they have one.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/WorkshopHeritage

Brambleberry has a similar one. I thought Heritage was the supplier for BB but this one looks different.

https://www.brambleberry.com/9-Bar-Unfinished-Birchwood-Mold-P5169.aspx

The price is similar, but mine included the silicone liner you have to by the other one seperately.

https://www.brambleberry.com/Silicone-Liner-for-9-Bar-Mold-P5812.aspx

Actually I found a 9 bar on his site; but it has to be custom made and I'm not sure I will get it in time. I have a small, square, soft silicone baking pan with a wire metal outside holder, so I think I'll use that for this challenge. I'll just have to measure it and figure out how much oil I need for that. I will order his and maybe it will come fairly quickly. Thanks for your input.

It is a great mold, and I think you will he happy with it. I know I am. It is so well made, I just love it. :)

I want to sign up but can't copy and paste from my phone. Will someone add me please?

Better go and dust off the lazy Susan from the loft - I can see this getting messy!

18. navigator9 (Finally getting off my lazy, retired butt.....I'm in!)
19. Saponista (Better go and dust off the lazy Susan from the loft - I can see this getting messy!)

KCHaystackbeat me to it, posted the same second as me!:mrgreen:
Deleted my text.

Last edited:
I need advice on which mold to use for the challenge. I've got a 1lb square silicone mold like the first pic but also have a larger silicone brownie pan. The depth of the 1lb mold is more ideal for cutting horizontally but I'm worried there isn't enough surface area to get good spin. Which one would you choose? Has anyone attempted a spin with the smaller size?

SILLOAF34in.jpg

8inchsquarestock-zoom.jpg

I need advice on which mold to use for the challenge. I've got a 1lb square silicone mold like the first pic but also have a larger silicone brownie pan. The depth of the 1lb mold is more ideal for cutting horizontally but I'm worried there isn't enough surface area to get good spin. Which one would you choose? Has anyone attempted a spin with the smaller size?

I used the smaller size in my test batch. I just poured into two corners and it worked fine. Of course, I am saying this without yet knowing what the inside looks like. If you want me to, I can let you know tomorrow after I cut it.

I used the smaller size in my test batch. I just poured into two corners and it worked fine. Of course, I am saying this without yet knowing what the inside looks like. If you want me to, I can let you know tomorrow after I cut it.

Please keep me posted on how it turns out dibbles. No pics required if it ends up being a keeper . . . I just want to know if you got enough movement to consider the spin a success.

Back