Shaving Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ausckirk

Reaction score
Hello All,

Anyone have a shaving soap recipe to share? I switched from "cans of goo" to shaving with soaps some time ago and thought I'd try my hand at making some for myself.

From my shaving experience, I prefer the tallow-based soaps. Although there is a trend away from tallow, most of the older and luxury lines appear tallow-based. I just finished rendering some beef tallow and and ready to give it a try. Any suggestions on a starting recipe?

//ausckirk

I am also highly interested in a shaving soap recipe. I recently started wet shaving and will never go back. A nice Badger Hair Brush and some warm lather is just the best. I know the few recipes I have found include extra castor oil and avocado oil and bentonite clay. I wrote it down and will post it later if I find it.

i have been trying to get a shaving soap recipe as well. my first 2 attempts were so drying to the face it that it hurt! lol. the lather wouldn't last as long either. my last batch of shaving soap was much much much better than the previous batches. im pretty much sticking to this one from now on. il definitely experiment in the future in order to make it a little better.

Castor Oil: 15%
Coconut Oil: 10%
Olive Oil: 25%
Lard: 50%

superfat at 15%

u need a high percentage of castor oil in order to make it more creamy and to hold the lather. use very little coconut oil or else it will be so drying! let me know how this works for you! enjoy!

Hi ausckirk, I have food/pharmacy grade Kaolin clay that I give away free which may add some slip to your shaving soap. Probably not cost effective unless you are in or near Australia. Steve :D

I use Coconut, Palm, Soybean, and Olive oil with kaolin clay and have lots of customers that swear by it. I make it with either basil EO or rosemary EO and the basil is more popular. I make the basil in a bar shape and the rosemary in a round shape so that if people want to put it in a shaving mug they can.

Tallow.
You must use tallow.
Gives you the slickest shave period.

Bentonite clay or Kaolin are also added for slipperyness. Bentonite for oily skin, or Kaolin for regular skin.

Here is a shaving soap recipe I found on here, I didn't write down the authors name so don't give me credit:
40% beef tallow, 24% castor oil, 22% cocoa butter, 5% coconut oil, and 5% olive oil, and 4% avocado oil.
Then about 1-2 tsp per clay ppo.

Chris, how can you superfat at 15%? The calc. only goes to 10%. At 10% calc. says 8.12 oz, so 5 more % would be 8.57 oz. so would it be 16.69 oz. for the lye? Am I figuring that right?

Latest posts

Back