shave cream or soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanman98

Reaction score
I might wanna get started on a few ingredients or basic naturals.
Elsewhere was not so forthcoming with answering some question, but I still have more research or testing to do or so, to formulate a better question perhaps.
I was hoping dead sea salt might act as a preservative and i got some answer, but also apparently was allegedly a very scientific group with no such distinctions, not to mention or lean towards natural or something. like essential oils, or the careless use without more structured approach. it can be respectable. but i still might want to find a solution overall. i could use some chemicals.
i wanna make some soap!

I found a recipe on HumbleBeeAndMe for a foaming pump-dispensed shave liquid and also a soap with cosmetic clay and more castor oil than their original soap recipe.
Maybe I should get an immersion blender.

Otherwise I might just make a shave cream with a few ingredients and get the consistency and viscosity and other properties accurate, healthy, and sustainable.
How's my list of ingredients to try look?

Honeyquat (like honey but not sticky)
Stearic Acid (palm oil is high in stearic acid, but can still add more for lather, is what i've read)

Foaming Apple
Foaming Oats
Foaming Silk
Cetyl Alcohol
cetearyl alcohol

coco betaine
Polyquaternium-7
Cocamidopropyl betaine
Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate

a few preservatives
Optiphen
NeoDefend
Euxyl® PE 9010 (plantaserve e...or is it q?
Geogard ECT

i have a few oils, but not sure how to compare or research more
maybe try squalane

Hyaluronic Acid
Coconut Milk Powder
Buttermilk Powder

Goat Milk Powder
Emu Oil Organic

Menthol Crystals Organic Natural

dead sea salt (maybefor a different project, not shaving!)
dead sea mud

I might have to get some education on this
For now I just wanted to double check if I have a good list, but was unable to make subsequent posts in another community maybe until I can organize it tastefully
and i still might prefer not to use harsh chemicals that people don't understand
for any number of reasons

could make a solid soap with oils and clay
https://www.humblebeeandme.com/shave-it-up/or a shave cream, shave gel, etc

yeah?
i was hoping this might be a bit easier to get started and maybe it will be!

Last edited:
Songwind's thread had a shaving soap recipe. Here is my take on it.
8.32 Oz Stearic Acid
7.68 Oz Coconut Oil
8.15 Oz Distilled Water
3.56 Oz NaOh
Glycerin 1.98 Oz

Mix lye and water. Melt stearic acid and coconut oil together in Crockpot. When oils are melted, add lye solution and blend together. Mixture will thicken immediately, but keep stirring until it starts to turn clear around the edges. Turn Crockpot on low and cook until mixture is gelled. Do zap test. If mixture does not "zap" it is ready to add the glycerin. Add glycerin to soap and blend. Pour into containers or individual molds immediately.

Songwind's thread had a shaving soap recipe. Here is my take on it.
8.32 Oz Stearic Acid
7.68 Oz Coconut Oil
8.15 Oz Distilled Water
3.56 Oz NaOh
Glycerin 1.98 Oz

Mix lye and water. Melt stearic acid and coconut oil together in Crockpot. When oils are melted, add lye solution and blend together. Mixture will thicken immediately, but keep stirring until it starts to turn clear around the edges. Turn Crockpot on low and cook until mixture is gelled. Do zap test. If mixture does not "zap" it is ready to add the glycerin. Add glycerin to soap and blend. Pour into containers or individual molds immediately.
thanks
I might consider cold process or melt and pour also.
I wanna make sure I get the right ingredients for a shave cream also. Maybe nothing too fancy as it will wash off. I could make an aftershave balm. I can cut the list I made in half, or use some of those for other stuff.

I could maybe try a few others oils or some cosmetic clay in the soap.

Latest posts

Back