San Francisco Herb Company (SFHerb.com)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraHoosier

Reaction score
I have used SF Herb Co for 4 years for personal orders of herbs, teas and EO's and for gifts for others but today I got my first ever -big- herb shipment. I'm happily packaging them into air tight containers when I see on a package label a note "This item has been packaged on machinery that is also used to package tree nuts, soy and dairy products." and after double checking 7 out of 9 of the herbs/teas I bought say this. Boogers. I must have overlooked the note on the website. Oh wait. They don't list it any where on there site!

I just got off the phone with their customer service dept and they apologized, not knowing themselves that it wasn't on the website and they're forwarding a message to the powers that be on this to have it added for the future because its the right thing to do business-wise.

So I'll add the warning to my soaps and if I make any bath teas or use any herbs in bath salts but I'll have to look for a new supplier for things I'd use in my soap making. I have loved this company and highly recommended it many, many times over the years and I won't stop giving out their name.

But since I think I've mentioned them here a few times as a potential supplier to others I wanted to post what I'd found out.

I'm pretty sure it is on the web site - at least for some things - because that's why I don't order from there (my kids have peanut and tree nut allergies). Same is true for their sister company - Atlantic Spice.

You're right carebear. I found it noted in the FAQ under the heading "Do you sell or store allergens?" Selling and storing allergens to me is different then packaging them all on the same machinery lines so I do still think it needs to be listed more clearly as a separate warning.

Thank you for your comment because if not for that I'd likely not have found it because it sent me back to search each and every page to see where I could have missed it.

Am I weird that I want to call back and apologize? lol Makes me wish I was living back near there so I could drive to the store and have every thing hand packed to avoid this. Maybe if get to go spend part of Christmas with my Dad I'll do just that :D

wow. good to know. i wonder if you can ask to have your items handpacked to avoid the allergens?

You cannot unless you buy from inside the store. I asked :)

I did let them know that if ever offered I'd gladly pay a special handling fee to have items hand packed, even a fee per item, if it was ever offered but they assured me that with the amount of goods coming through in bulk daily they just can't do it.

Latest posts

Back