Red Wine Soap Weirdness

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlm884

Reaction score
I have never soaped with wine before so I picked up a cheap bottle of wine and boiled it and froze it. So I made the wine, and I was disappointed with the colors but overall I think it turned out okay other then unmolding it too soon. Anyways, when I cut the bars I found this strange pattern inside. It is a lighter brown all the way around and the inside is darker. I like the look of it and I have seen it in other red wine soaps online but I was just curious if anyone knows what causes it. I know it didn't gel because I put it in the freezer after pouring.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Even though you froze it, it could have still gelled. I have soaps that are high in sugars that I put in the freezer and they still gel a bit, especially if it's not a small batch because the heat gets held in the center much longer.

I think it might have to do with oxidation. The cut surface changed colors over the next 2 hours. now it is all the same color but when i cut it again it is that darker color then it disappears after a while

Yup, it's going to even out to a brown. I've not had a lot of success with wine soaps and after 2 tries quit making them..

I seen some really gorgeous looking ones on google but now that I have made one I realized that they must have had colorants added to them.

The outside of the soap may not have gelled but the inside certainly has... I have had this happen to me too. The colour will darken slightly as it cures but you will still be left with the different shades. :)

I just checked on the soap and there is only one shade now. You can't tell that the soap was ever two shades, its a uniform brown color now.

I feel I have success with wine soap. What I do is cook down the wine to almost a syrup or about 1/3 of a cup or so. I use the wine as part of a soap batch, use it as a swirl. I contrast the purple/brown color with and orange, I use Blood Orange EO. Wine soap is fun but to get a "true" wine color you have to use colorants which is not a true wine soap IMHO but to each their own. Try again, it'll turn out better :wink:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I like the swirl idea! I do have half a bottle of wine left and there is no way I will ever drink that horrible tasting stuff so I might give this a try! Thanks for the idea

Latest posts

Back