Recommend Paper Trimmer/Cutter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daisy

Reaction score
I am looking for a good professional Paper Trimmer/Cutter for making Cigar Bands for soaps.
I currently use the little Fiskars Roller Trimmer and I'm not happy with the results.

Any recommendations?

Also... which is better, a Roller Trimmer or the Guillotine type?

Thank you.

How many sheets at a time are you wanting to cut? A guillotine type can cut more sheets at a single time but I find that the more sheets you have in your stack, the more they shift as you're cutting. For at home use, I (personally) prefer the Fiskars roller type than the guillotine. I find I can be more precise with the Fiskars than with the guillotine. I do have both. Plus, I have access to a real (electronic) guillotine cutter (cuts up to a ream, or more, at a time) as I work in a print shop.

Thanks @Misschief
I wish to cut at list 10 sheets a time. I was looking at a Dahle 533 guillotine type...almost purchased one but thought wise to ask here first.
Do you have a home guillotine or just the one at the print shop? If so, which one?
One person on the forum had mentioned they use one with a laser. Any thoughts?

Swingline ... not just staplers!
Seriously though, I've used a variety of cutters over the years and I find most swing-arm guillotine cutters to be either acceptable or not. When I decided to get one awhile back I picked up this one and it has been working well up to about 5 to 6 sheets of full page, heavyweight sticker paper. The blade is still super sharp and it keeps cutting very well.
Otherwise, most any copy and print center will have a large electric guillotine cutter that can typically handle very large stacks and they will typically charge by the cut. Having worked one of those machines myself (I've cut thousands upon thousands of business cards an other items on these machines) I can say that the cuts are still only as accurate as the print.

In the end, if I know the registration is tight and I've had the printing done professionally, then I will pay the cut fee as well.
If I'm printing at home, I cut on my own cutter. Lastly, I will admit I have never been a fan of slide/wheel cutters.

With that, I think the Dahle 533 looks fine as a home cutter, but that's just my two cents.

Swingline ... not just staplers!
Seriously though, I've used a variety of cutters over the years and I find most swing-arm guillotine cutters to be either acceptable or not. When I decided to get one awhile back I picked up this one and it has been working well up to about 5 to 6 sheets of full page, heavyweight sticker paper. The blade is still super sharp and it keeps cutting very well.
Otherwise, most any copy and print center will have a large electric guillotine cutter that can typically handle very large stacks and they will typically charge by the cut. Having worked one of those machines myself (I've cut thousands upon thousands of business cards an other items on these machines) I can say that the cuts are still only as accurate as the print.

In the end, if I know the registration is tight and I've had the printing done professionally, then I will pay the cut fee as well.
If I'm printing at home, I cut on my own cutter. Lastly, I will admit I have never been a fan of slide/wheel cutters.

With that, I think the Dahle 533 looks fine as a home cutter, but that's just my two cents.
Thank you for your valuable (much more than 2 cents:)) advice!

Latest posts

Back