Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val

Reaction score
What is the purpose of putting plastic wrap over the molds.

Some have it touching surface and I have seen some that it isn't touching.

What purpose does this serve?

Val

Thanks Chris ...... I knew there had to be something to it but wasn't sure.

Part of the reason I asked was because I have tried it both ways. All it seemed to do is trap water/moisture. If it wasn't touching it left small spots where the seepage was and the one touching made water like marks on the top.

I wanted to know as I was going to try one without it to see if I could stop that problem.

Val

I don't like using plastic , if I do I poke a few pin holes in it.I spray the log with alcohol too.

Kitn

I read a hint from somewhere that said if you spray the top of your soap in the mould with alcohol and then push gel in the oven, you will get a layer of clear transparent soap on top. It looked very pretty in the picture, I haven't tried it out though. I can't remember where I read that, but apparently that stops ash as well.

I started putting a layer of saran wrap over the top of the mould. I figured it might help keep the soap insulated and foreign objects out. If it touches the top of the soap it's not as big of a deal as it is a tea towel falling in.

Latest posts

Back