Principles for developing a recipe (and technique) for swirling?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luluzapcat

Reaction score
Are there good rules to follow in developing a recipe, and managing your batter, to be used for swirls? I'm hoping to enter this month's challenge and want a good approach. I'd like to know rules, rather than actual recipes, so I can tailor to oils on hand, and my own preferences about oils to use or not.

Regarding oils:
I'm aware that I'll want a high percentage of liquid oils. Rule of thumb? 40%? 50%?
Are there specific fatty acid profiles to seek or avoid? In the ingredients and/or in the total recipe? That is, can something about the makeup of an oil tell you if it will be faster to trace?

Regarding technique:
Does higher water content give more swirling time?
Does high temperature help keep the batter from solidifying too fast--or does it just speed up trace? (This has always confused me).

thanks!

I agree, that is a very helpful article on SoapQueen. But for some reason, she left out lard as a slow-moving oil (and an exception to the general rule that slow-moving oils are liquid at room temp).

Combining lard with slow-moving liquid oils not only makes a batter that is easy to swirl; it also makes really nice soap.

Regarding your other questions:

A higher water percentage can slow down trace, but can cause other issues, such as more ash, glycerin rivers, and longer time to unmolding, So I'd go easy on the extra water and focus more on the oils in the recipe.

Lower temps will usually slow down trace. If you are using PKO, butters or beeswax, that can cause false trace when working at low temps. So you will want to read on up what to do if that happens.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back