Pretty in Pink - lavender soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surf girl

Reaction score
So, I tried some new things with some soap yesterday, and I am happy with how it turned out. I'd never have thought of this particular style of soap on my own without some internet inspiration, so thanks to Nizzy http://nizzymoulds.com/nizzygallery.htm and TAS http://www.tastouchsoaps.com and probably some others I've seen but can't remember. Those folks have talent and creativity coming out their ears.
DSC_1637.jpg

WOW!!! Another amazing soap surfgirl. That is absolutely beautiful. You rock!

Surfgirl,
How did you get the red/pink "flecks" in the bottom color and how do you achieve the "choppy" mica line?

Love those...

Fab! You just keep getting better and better.
I still laugh about your "jason kill me now for I am too stinky to live soap".
That was hilarious.
How did you do the black line?

:D Thanks guys! If I ever have self-esteem issues, I will come here because you folks always make me feel great!

Here's the dirt.

I've been fooling around with colour (I've got a colour experiment underway, and I'll post once I've got a nice collection of photos). The pink colour is from yellow dock root; it's got such big flecks because I didn't have a fine coffee grinder (well, not one that mr surf girl would ever forgive me for using) and my chopper thingy left some relatively big particles (I did put it through a fine seive and a pair of pantyhose).

The black line is cocoa powder, sifted (again. through pantyhose) lightly onto the first layer. The irregular layer is created by pouring the first layer at thick trace, and letting the it set to a pretty thick, porridge-like consistency, and then scooping out hills and valleys with a spoon. The second layer was poured at a thinner trace so that it easily filled the irregarities of the first layer.

Cool, huh?

Yellow dock root makes that gorgeous pink color? That's insane. I've never even heard of it. Thanks for all the info!

Wow, that looks awesome! Love love love the color, and the irregular line between the layers is gorgeous.

those are so neat. i love them, i really need to move out of my comfort zone and experiment.

those are gorgeous !! I love the color spots in the pink and the crinkly line !

Surf Girl - you've done it again! Gorgeous soap! You should send Nizzy a pic - I am sure he will love it and appreciate the comment that he, among others, inspired you.

Tanya :)

surf girl said:
:D Thanks guys! If I ever have self-esteem issues, I will come here because you folks always make me feel great!

Here's the dirt.

I've been fooling around with colour (I've got a colour experiment underway, and I'll post once I've got a nice collection of photos). The pink colour is from yellow dock root; it's got such big flecks because I didn't have a fine coffee grinder (well, not one that mr surf girl would ever forgive me for using) and my chopper thingy left some relatively big particles (I did put it through a fine seive and a pair of pantyhose).

The black line is cocoa powder, sifted (again. through pantyhose) lightly onto the first layer. The irregular layer is created by pouring the first layer at thick trace, and letting the it set to a pretty thick, porridge-like consistency, and then scooping out hills and valleys with a spoon. The second layer was poured at a thinner trace so that it easily filled the irregarities of the first layer.

Cool, huh?

SO clever! I'm gonna have to try the cocoa powder thing.

andrea - just give it a go! I make small batches (2 lbs), so it's no biggie if it all gets effed up. And if it doesn't turn out, I learn something and do it differently next time. I am by no means a highly experienced soaper - I just like to read and experiment and have fun.

topcat said:
Surf Girl - you've done it again! Gorgeous soap! You should send Nizzy a pic - I am sure he will love it and appreciate the comment that he, among others, inspired you.

Well bowl me over. I don't know why, but I always thought Nizzy was a "she."

And I will send a pic :D

surf girl said:
topcat said:

Well bowl me over. I don't know why, but I always thought Nizzy was a "she."

And I will send a pic :D

Yep, I've heard that a lot! Terry Nisbet (hence the 'Nizzy') is a lovely man and a very experienced soaper. I bought a divider mould from him online and neglected to give him my address :roll: , though I had mentioned I lived just around the lake from him. He looked me up in the phone book and called me; so we had a great chat and I learned heaps about soaping just from that one conversation! I have visited him twice to pick up more moulds etc and end up coming home with lots of soap, FOs, a soap stamp, mica......generous to a fault I'd say :wink:

BTW - I did take some of my soaps to him to make it a more fair trade :D

Latest posts

Back