Parchment Paper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unmouton

Reaction score
I want to make soap. But I ran out of freezer paper to line my mold, and it's cold and late so I don't want to go out and buy more. :) Will parchment paper work as a lining in a pinch?

Thanks!

I've not tried it myself, but I've read that you can use parchment.
I've also read it can get sometimes wrinkly from the soap...

Thanks for the fast response carebear. I appreciate it. With that lukewarm endorsement, I'm going to throw caution into the wind and do it. I'll report back with results, in case anyone cares to know!

So, the parchment paper worked like a dream! It actually peeled off better than freezer paper and wax paper ever have! My only concern is... I added orange colorant, and the top 1/8" of my soap log is orange, and the remainder of it turned a tannish brown. I wonder if this had to do with the parchment, or if it was an unrelated mistake/unintended reaction.

Either way, what a serendipitous discovery!

I used parchment paper on my first few batches since I had yet to purchase freezer paper. I also found that the parchment releases easier then the freezer paper. Parchment paper is coated with silicone. However, parchment wrinkles far easier and I think that the freezer paper is overall easier to work with and yields smoother sides to the soap. I did not experience any unusual color reactions with the parchment.

I have never used parchament paper but I do use glad press and seal with great results. The only fallback is it can leave the soap looking a little speckled because of the texture of the film/adhesive. I think I am going to try seran wrap next time. I know it works on top of the soap without getting messed up so hopefully it can work in my mold. I must stink at using freezer paper in a mold because my edges always turn out really wrinkly and I get a lot of leaking out of the corners

TomS said:
I used parchment paper on my first few batches since I had yet to purchase freezer paper. I also found that the parchment releases easier then the freezer paper. Parchment paper is coated with silicone. However, parchment wrinkles far easier and I think that the freezer paper is overall easier to work with and yields smoother sides to the soap. I did not experience any unusual color reactions with the parchment.

We have different names for the same product so I've just realised that parchment paper may be baking paper.

unmouton - the colour in your soap may yet even out.

If you are in fact talking about baking paper, then I discovered a while ago, that if you peel it off carefully, without ripping it in your excitement to see your amazing new soap :wink: , you can re-use it one more time. Just fold it back into the mould and use the same side as before. This overjoyed me because it takes me 5 minutes to do all of the folding. :evil:

I'm pretty sure they are the same thing. And I DID rip mine off in excitement, as usual. :oops: But next time, I will try to exhibit some self control in order to reuse, because I carefully fold mine also!

Latest posts

Back