Overheating?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevens4411

Reaction score
I consider myself a seasoned soap maker. However this past few months I’ve been experiencing this issue where my loaves are staying too hot in the centre. It doesn’t matter if I use honey or not, sugar or not, coconut cream or not. I have used the same formula for 5 years and never have I dealt with this issue before. Every loaf I make no matter what changes I make in regards to where I store it, they overheat. Yes I soap at room temp, I use equal parts lye to water, with coconut cream added to my oils.

Any ideas?!?!

You can see in the photo that it gelled. I have tried both silicone lined and freezer paper lined.

Oh
and I did not insulate these with a lid or anything. It isn’t even 30° Celsius today. So I’m out of ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_9982.jpeg
    IMG_9982.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
It has been hotter this summer though, don't you think? Or have you had more humidity than usual? If not for one of those reasons, then is there a new brand of one of your ingredients that you are using? How about just letting them go to full gel since they're almost there anyway? it would be better than having a gel ring.

It has been hotter this summer though, don't you think? Or have you had more humidity than usual? If not for one of those reasons, then is there a new brand of one of your ingredients that you are using? How about just letting them go to full gel since they're almost there anyway? it would be better than having a gel ring.
It has been hot! I haven’t actually soaped on the hot days as my first thought was the room temperature. However today was a beautiful day with a cool breeze. Normally I insulate my soaps but I’m going through a process of elimination and even without insulation my soap still gelled, but it’s staying too hot in the centre…

My last theory is the apricot oil! Just before this issues (checking my purchase history) I did open a fresh bottle of apricot oil. I have in between all the fails made a batch with canola oil and I didn’t have this issue! So my new theory to test out tomorrow while the weather isn’t deathly hot is to test a batch without apricot and use the canola instead.

You could try using cavity molds. The smaller volume in each cavity may not overheat as bad.

Where are you in Oz ? Have you tried putting it in the frig overnight. I have still soaped on hot days, that hasn't made any difference other than I sweat lol. I always put my soap in the frig, I don't gel.

Latest posts

Back