Line an aluminum mold with something?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBell123

Reaction score
Another newbie question. I got a long rectangular "loaf pan" that looked like the perfect shape for soap at the thrift store. But now reading more, I think it is aluminum and I shouldn't use it.

But I was wondering, could I line it with something and still use it? I was already planning on lining it with parchment paper to make it easier to get it out. Would that be enough if I lined it well? Or I was considering lining it with a plastic garbage bag and then parchment paper. Would that work?

Or just not use it?

I don't think I'd assume parchment paper is a barrier to NaOH. And thin plastic bags get holes pretty easily.

I've used freezer paper (heavy paper that is lined on one side with a thin plastic film) to line my wood molds. I've had liquids from my soap migrate through the paper and stain the wood mold. Freezer paper is arguably as or more protective than parchment paper.

Honestly, it's not worth the risk. I'd just find another mold to use if I were in your shoes. I started out with a sturdy cardboard box. Some people cut the side off a 1/2 gallon (2 L) cardboard milk carton.

Sodium hydroxide and aluminum is highly exothermic and causes Hydrogen gas release which is explosive - dont use aluminum with NaoH!!!

Latest posts

Back