Natural Soaps Yellow vs White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With EOs and FOs, there is no effective way to prevent these volatile chemicals from getting into the general open air, especially when we mix them into warm soap batter and while we let the soap set up in the mold.

You seem to be a genius with this stuff. Are you a chemist?

With regard to the EO, at one point it is dangerous? Obviously not when stable in the bottle or the final product in the soap, so is it only when it's first mixed in and/or gelling?

I always cut my bars day 2 and smell them non stop, so hopefully I am not killing myself or destroying lungs!

Before you get too freaked out, you will be fine as long as you keep good ventilation in your soaping area..a small fan or open window is fine, wear gloves and goggles, and a mask if you feel the need to. I personally dont wear a mask anymore..I just keep my head from being directly over my lye solution when mixing it, and when mixing any powders into my soap base.

EO's can be toxic, so don't swallow it and preferably keep it off your skin because some sensitive types can get irritated or even blisters if left for prolonged amounts of time, so just wash it off if you get it on you with warm soapy water.

And no, sniffing your soap will not harm you :lol: Sniff away!

You have been a member for a while, but I'm guessing you haven't read many of the older threads - DeeAnna is, in my opinion, one of the smartest soapers on the planet. Combining the science side of things in a way that is really easy to follow and actually interesting to learn!

With regard to the EO, at one point it is dangerous? Obviously not when stable in the bottle or the final product in the soap, so is it only when it's first mixed in and/or gelling?

I always cut my bars day 2 and smell them non stop, so hopefully I am not killing myself or destroying lungs!

What a way to go!

Nope, not a chemist. I'm a PhD chemical and agricultural engineer, so I enjoy researching. I was a long-time college instructor who taught math, science, and computer stuff, so I also like explaining geeky stuff to non-geeks. I have managed over the years to learn a little bit about a lot of oddball subjects. :)

As far as how much EO exposure is too much, you wondered "...is it only when it's first mixed in and/or gelling?..."

Yep, that's the most troublesome time. I've gotten headaches from some EOs and FOs at the point when my CP soap is saponifying and in full gel when the evaporation rate of fragrance is at its highest. Before that point or after the soap is fully saponified, I don't have problems. If I soaped for a living, I would want to wear an organic respirator more than I do now so I could reduce my exposure to fragrance chemicals when soaping.

Back