My first soap swap PICS ADDED

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busymakinsoap!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I about to participate in my first ever soap swap. The theme is 'Alice in Wonderland'.
I am the newbie 'who doesnt know much about soap' so I want to make a really good impression.
My first thought was to make cupcakes for Mad Hatters tea party, but then I get an email through advising me on the importance of scent blends and how this needs to reflect the theme. So my orange and chocolate cupcakes (already made) wont do.
I'm not good with scent, I've never blended my own. I figure if I can buy it already in the bottle and its blended by a pro, why try and better that.
So now I have a new idea. I'm thinking the white queen (Anne Hathaway) and I will portray her with a bright white soap, with a thin black base (her nails) and a tiny red swirl (her lips) through the top section. This will work as long as the scent I choose does not discolour. The scent I have choosen is 'Honeysuckel Hallow' by Sweet Cakes. I havnt smelt it yet, its on order. Has anybody used this scent?

Also does anyone have any other ideas. I make lots of tea soaps, so could do that - there is the 'eat me', 'drink me' theme - maybe a bit boring?

Any input apreciated, i'm really nervous about this one :?

Oh my gosh, I think you are too worried!!
Every idea you listed is wonderful!! I love the first idea as well.
I think you should trust yourself cause you clearly are very creative!

Your post made me laugh.
We're alike!!!!!
:lol: :lol:
Seriously over thought.
Your cupcake idea sounds brilliant!!
If the scent has to match the theme perhaps rabbit scented then....rofl..... :lol: :lol:

I like the idea of the white, red and black. I don't know if the honeysuckle discolours, pity I didn't read this morning as I was over at natural candle doing some sniffing and could have had a look to see if the oil was yellow or not. You could put in some TD first before you put in the oil to help lighten it a bit.
I wouldn't over think too much either - if you like it and you have done your best that's all that matters.
I can send you over some of Ellie the rabbits hair to put in the soap to give it a rabbit theme. :lol:

Relle.

Geepers ... swapping would not be for me if that's how serious it is!

Your ideas sound amazing busymakinsoap! and the person who receives your swap is truly lucky!

... rabbit hair ... as long as it falls out naturally (to follow my vegan lifestyle) ... well that would be kinda cute even! lol ... maybe some bunny droppings could be added to give the soap some exfoilating power ...

Honeysuckle Hollow smells just like Honeysuckle (flower). It didn't discolour for me although the soap is creamy colour, not white but I have calendula petals in it too. I didn't comment that it accelerated trace but being a floral, be prepared. Have fun with your swap. :wink:

You are worried too much. What are they going to do? Fire you if your products are not deamed worthy?

Why don't you go to etsy.com ans search "wonderland bath". You will se lots of people do wonderland inspired items.

Thanks or the offer relle, but maybe I could do the cheshire cat and use my own cats fur instead! lol but I dont think cat turd would have the same effect as the rabbit droppings though! There a bit to squishy! Imagine that, would be hillarious considering how serious they are!!

thanks bubbles, thats good to know, I wanted to make a floral soap, and realised I dont have any florals - fancy that!? I always seem to order everything but.

and Tabitha your exactly right, I am worrying too much. Its my suppliers group and they just sent out 'reviews' from their last swap, and posted pics on the website. I just dont want to be the one with the dud soap. I will check out esty.

If I look on the bright side, I get some practice in, get some feedback, I get to share my goodies AND I get to make more soap!

And I also get a whole lotta soap in return :lol:

Wow! That is just way too much pressure. Swaps are suppose to be fun. You clearly have great ideas and surely you underestimate your abilities. Relax, enjoy making your product and let your talents flow.

Seriously, I just made soaps for my first two swaps and I was WAY too nervous. I was trying way too hard. I knew it was silly to stress but I did it anyhow and then wondered why after the fact. Do as I say and not as I do - relax and enjoy!

Of course you want to make a good impression. My advice is to not get overly fussy - if the quality of your ingredients is good and you are attentive to your process, it will be fine.

Here is a picture of some Alice soaps I made for my daughter to give to her cast mates. She was in a ballet version of Alice and was part of the Red Queen's army. These were not for a swap, just for a bunch of young adolescent girls. I did a basic raspberry vanilla colored with yellow dock root. I slapped on a cute label and voilá! The Jabberwocky was depicted as a Chinese style dragon; that soap was pomegranate scented.

alicesoaps.jpg

Dragon, Ellie seems to be moulting all the time, it comes out in handfulls, so plenty of hair there. As for her droppings, you might laugh. I've been collecting them for a lady at my drumming class, she wants it for her bonsai plants. She's so happy when I take her poo. :shock:

I go looking in Ellie's spots the garden with my gardening scoop :oops: and pick it up. Rabbits have a pill mound so at least I know where to go, I also get it out of her rabbit litter tray.

Mmm, rabbit poo for exfoliation, don't think so.
Might be able to use her hair, like tussah silk - its very soft.

Now, how am I going to market that. :wink:

Relle.

judymoody said:
I did a basic raspberry vanilla colored with yellow dock root.

Whoa what is yellow dock root? I love that color!!!
I looked it up and couldn't find much info on it. How do you use it?
Gorgeous!!

Thanks Judy, your soaps are really cute, I never thought too much about the packaging (although they did state that all soaps should be packaged as if they were for sale), that would be a really good way to portray the theme

Re: My first soap swap

Ive used SC Honeysuckle Hollow,no A or D & it's quite strong so I only use 2%.I have some soap from Oct '09 & it still smells heavenly.(sweet heavy old-style floral,reminds me of the old Yardley single note fragrances & I love it!)

Have fun with yr swap,that's what they're all about! :)

Lisa

busymakinsoap! said:
Hi everyone,

I about to participate in my first ever soap swap. The theme is 'Alice in Wonderland'.
The person running the swap is fairly serious, and the group is quite clicky, and I am the newbie 'who doesnt know much about soap' so I want to make a really good impression.
My first thought was to make cupcakes for Mad Hatters tea party, but then I get an email through advising me on the importance of scent blends and how this needs to reflect the theme. So my orange and chocolate cupcakes (already made) wont do.
I'm not good with scent, I've never blended my own. I figure if I can buy it already in the bottle and its blended by a pro, why try and better that.
So now I have a new idea. I'm thinking the white queen (Anne Hathaway) and I will portray her with a bright white soap, with a thin black base (her nails) and a tiny red swirl (her lips) through the top section. This will work as long as the scent I choose does not discolour. The scent I have choosen is 'Honeysuckel Hallow' by Sweet Cakes. I havnt smelt it yet, its on order. Has anybody used this scent?

Also does anyone have any other ideas. I make lots of tea soaps, so could do that - there is the 'eat me', 'drink me' theme - maybe a bit boring?

Any input apreciated, i'm really nervous about this one :?

LadyM said:
judymoody said:
I did a basic raspberry vanilla colored with yellow dock root.

Whoa what is yellow dock root? I love that color!!!
I looked it up and couldn't find much info on it. How do you use it?
Gorgeous!!

Hope this isn't hijacking. You can get it from Mountain Rose Herbs and I think SF Herb Co. has it too. Infuse it in olive oil in a crock pot turned on low for an hour or so. Then strain. When the lye hits it, it goes from a kind of amber yellow color to bright pink or pink/orange depending on your base oil mix. Like most natural colorants, it will fade if exposed to a lot of direct light so best to store in a dark place until you use it.

Heres my first attempt at my swap soap. Unfortunately the red went pink instead. However I do LOVE it, I actually think the pink is better - but not in theme.
Im going to try again, this one had a red liquid dye, Im going to try it again with an oxide and this one I will keep for myself :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OH MY GOSH.
That has got to be the most beautiful soap I have ever seen in my life. Really beautiful!!! :D

Back