Help me out with a name?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Soaping Buddies. I concocted this blend of FOs and EOs in an effort to create a 'woodsy' scent that wasn't too woodsy, but also fresh and appealing to all genders.
Used a combination of the FOs 1) Black Violet and Oakmoss, and 2) Lavender, Tea and Tonic, with EOs 1) Cedarwood and 2)Lemongrass.

I don't want Ocean names because i have a range of ocean-scented and themed soaps, and besides that it does not smell like an ocean or sea water or sea breeze.

I do want forest-y, green type names. Yes I know the colours are wrong but that's because i thought the teal blue would discolour to green, but of course it didn't lol.

I already asked all my fb followers and whittled it down to two possible names: Petrichor, or Lake Erie. Which of these two names do you like better? Or have you thought of something better still?

421406894_858229666103004_385676154749570084_n.jpg

Does it actually smell like petrichor? If not, I'd be disappointed by that name. Likewise, most well known bodies of water have a particular scent and if it's too far from that, then folks will be disappointed.

How about:
Water nymph
Forest stream / woodland stream
Glade pond
Quiet pool
Gentle ripples

Hi @KiwiMoose - I like the Petrichor name once I looked it up, but before that I had no idea what that was. Might just be me, or maybe other people will not know, either.
Lake Erie sits oddly with me, but I like the Lake vibe. I thought of Lakeside, Lakeside Evening, Lake Life, Fresh Mist, Foggy Morning. I’ll be curious what you decide - keep us posted! 🌸

Forest Lake
Lake Forest
Alpine Lake
Alpine Forest
Forest Path

I didn't look at other answers before thinking of those, so apparently we are getting a similar vibe from what you shared. :)
I live in a suburb called Forest Lake! Funny you should come up with that.
@Babyshoes yes it does smell like petrichor
@dmcgee5034 - the reason I thought of Lake Erie is because I imagine a great body of water with forest around it. I looked up the other Great Lakes and I didn't like the names as much as Erie. The lake vibe came up because of the colour I guess - but I really want a 'fresh forest' kind of name.

So no go on Petrichor or Lake Erie? I quite like Alpine Forest too thank you @AliOop

I like Lake Erie as a name for it, but I have lived my entire life on the west coast and have never been to the Great Lakes, so I can't speak to how anyone with any sort of connection to them might feel about that.

I like Lake Erie as a name for it, but I have lived my entire life on the west coast and have never been to the Great Lakes, so I can't speak to how anyone with any sort of connection to them might feel about that.
You'd be hard pressed to find anyone in NZ with a connection to it :)
Another idea I had was Forest Mist

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone in NZ with a connection to it :)
Another idea I had was Forest Mist
Oh right! I knew you were in NZ but forgot for a moment. I think you're probably fine to use it then, if you like it hehe :)

Forest Mist works really nicely with the colors you've got. I love that bright blue even if it wasn't what you expected.

I am horrible with names but I like Forest Mist as well. Also Forest Path but not sure about the blue with that one, would be good with green for future batches. Don't like Petrichor as much because I agree that most non-soaping/fragrance people won't know what it is (I do only from soaping FO's). I also wanted to say that the soap is really pretty.

I'm a Lake Michigan girl. Knowing you're (@KiwiMoose ) in NZ, I did wonder a little at "Lake Erie." I thought maybe there's a Lake Erie over there, too. Great Lakes people have a lot of pride in the lakes, so I think we'd appreciate it. But, that doesn't really matter since it's unlikely that a Lake Erie person is going to be anywhere near this soap. The real question would be how @KiwiMoose customers think about it. Will they think you misspelled "eerie"?

I'm a Lake Michigan girl. Knowing you're (@KiwiMoose ) in NZ, I did wonder a little at "Lake Erie." I thought maybe there's a Lake Erie over there, too. Great Lakes people have a lot of pride in the lakes, so I think we'd appreciate it. But, that doesn't really matter since it's unlikely that a Lake Erie person is going to be anywhere near this soap. The real question would be how @KiwiMoose customers think about it. Will they think you misspelled "eerie"?
I never thought of that, lol. They really should brush up on their geography if so.

I too wonder how NZ'ers would respond to Lake Erie, both the spelling and wondering if they would find the name more spooky than majestic. It is a beautiful name. If you think it'll resonate with your customers, I say go for it!

I live near Lake O and fish Lake E, and one day hope to fish all the great lakes as they are truly a marvel. The great lakes are stunning and awe-inspiring, but a lot of the grandeur is due to their sheer size. It's like looking out to the ocean rather than a lake. Reading along this thread, the name that popped into my head is Acadia, as in the national park in Maine, which is peppered with large lakes surrounded by spectacular forest. But I live here and travel to these places, so the names have different meanings to me.

Grew up on the Lake Erie shores. That gorgeous vibrant blue (what colorant did you use?!) does not give me any Erie vibes. I remember the waters being a deeper and murkier blue green. It was a rich dark blue in the fall, frozen in the winter. I'd associate the blue shade in the soap more with either the clear Caribbean waters or icy Arctic waters. Or, it reminds me a bit of hiking in CO during wintertime and coming across frozen lakes. Maybe there's a snowy mountain in NZ or in fantasy NZ (Middle Earth 😆) with a similar vibe. Misty Mountain?

If it smells like Petrichor, go with Petrichor 😁

Funnily enough - I had some people at my market stall last weekend who had moved here from Michigan. In fact - he was the one who wanted a 'woodsy' smelling soap! I didn't go full-on woodsy because most of my customers are women, so I opted for the woods/green/fresh variation.

Grew up on the Lake Erie shores. That gorgeous vibrant blue (what colorant did you use?!) does not give me any Erie vibes. I remember the waters being a deeper and murkier blue green. It was a rich dark blue in the fall, frozen in the winter. I'd associate the blue shade in the soap more with either the clear Caribbean waters or icy Arctic waters. Or, it reminds me a bit of hiking in CO during wintertime and coming across frozen lakes. Maybe there's a snowy mountain in NZ or in fantasy NZ (Middle Earth 😆) with a similar vibe. Misty Mountain?

If it smells like Petrichor, go with Petrichor 😁
I wish I'd never used that blue - it's what's causing the naming problems. I thought it would turn green with the batter colour yellowing it off. Our New Zealand Lakes don't make me think of forests.
Lake Wanaka: Lake Wānaka | 100% Pure New Zealand
Lake Taupo: Taupo | Huka Falls | 100% Pure New Zealand
Lake Tekapo: Things to see and do in Lake Tekapo/Takapō, New Zealand
Maybe I could go with Aoraki? Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park

I bet most NZers would know Mount Erie better than Aoraki any day. And I don't want to call it Mount Cook (that's the name the English settlers gave Aoraki)

What about the dancing forest, or dancing in the forest? The soap is gorgeous and reminds me of a beautiful dress in a light forest breeze. There are beautiful forest villas in children's books, what about dancing in the forest. This soap reminds me of...

Funnily enough - I had some people at my market stall last weekend who had moved here from Michigan. In fact - he was the one who wanted a 'woodsy' smelling soap! I didn't go full-on woodsy because most of my customers are women, so I opted for the woods/green/fresh variation.

As a woman, I am partial to woodsy scents.

While Michiganians would happily claim all 5 lakes as our own, Erie more rightly belongs to Ohio.

Maybe this batch has a different name and the next time you make it, change up the colors and the name. That shade of blue can be found in the summer in Lake Superior. I'll attach a picture. You could use Superior's indigenous name, gitche-gumee, or it's meaning: “Great Water”

Attachments

• DSCF9236.jpg
    DSCF9236.jpg
    956.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back