Curdled Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annathie

Reaction score
Hello, I’m new to soap making. Made my 3rd lot yesterday and it curdled, upon addition of scent. I have since seen that I should have stick blended more, which could have corrected the problem, but didn’t know that at the time. Hence, I poured it into the moulds. Needless to say, it looks curdled after leaving overnight. Can I melt it somehow and try again or is it too late? Can it still be used in several months time like this? It was made using lye, not melt & pour. Thanks so much. It was meant to be a present for someone, so gutted. It was castille & olive oil for the oils. I was trying to make sunflowers, so glitter in the trays first. That looks bad too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Welcome, and so sorry you had that experience. FWIW, I think the sunflowers are still cute!

In soapmaking, that curdling is called "ricing." It is usually caused by a naughty fragrance oil. Most of us have learned (and re-learned) to check the reviews for each fragrance oil before we try it. Which fragrance did you use?

Welcome, and so sorry you had that experience. FWIW, I think the sunflowers are still cute!

In soapmaking, that curdling is called "ricing." It is usually caused by a naughty fragrance oil. Most of us have learned (and re-learned) to check the reviews for each fragrance oil before we try it. Which fragrance did you use?
It was a coconut lime from Pure Nature in New Zealand. The green tea snd lemongrass one, I used before with no issues.

That is such a bummer. I see that the fragrance has good reviews, although they are mostly for candles.

If you are unhappy with these soaps, you can definitely shred them up and rebatch them. If you put "rebatch" into the search bar at the top of this page, you will come up with lots of threads about how to do that.

I tend to add FO to the warmed oils before mixing in the lye solution. I think there can sometimes be problems if you mix cold FO with warm soap batter.
That's a good idea. I might try that one. I did make another batch using a different recipe (coconut, rice bran & olive oil) and it worked. Although concerned about the fragrance so stuck to green tea and lemongrass, which hadn't done this.

I would zap test them in a day or so. If they don't zap, it's probably fine.
Yeah, not sure I'm keen to do that one (I have health anxieties). ;)

If you are getting ricing after adding the FO, then that is probably the culprit. Try the suggestion by KiwiMoose, of adding the FO to your warmed oils before adding the lye solution.

Latest posts

Back