lotion keeps seperating

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytreats

Reaction score
I have just about had it. I tried this very simple recipe from Nature's Garden. The first time I tried it, I tossed it. It kept separating. And I think it was partially my fault because I ended up not using enough water, and realized this too late, and just added some boiled water without holding the temperature.

So the recipe is:

161 g water
23 g of apricot kernel oil
23 g of soybean oil
12 g of e-wax

I held my oils and water for 20 mins. used a stick blender for 5 mins to make sure it didn't separate. it was a nice thick cream. after letting it stand for 5 mins, the whole thing separated. I stick blended again, but this time it didn't come together like a thick cream. stayed very fluid. let it stand for 5 mins. this time it hasn't separated, but I'm nervous that it might separate in a few days.

a few months ago, I thought I was successful at making the recipe until 3 days later, the whole concoction was a layer of oil and water. and I have no idea why.

so I guess what I'm asking is, does this recipe look right? I just really don't want this to separate. if it does, I will cry. :cry:

alright. I just added my FO and preservative. It has separated. I'm trying to bring it back to a high temp and holding it and re-blending and re-adding my preservative and FO.

Thank you Isg, I've tried that very recipe. And that was the first one I tried, and it did indeed separate on me. Clearly the lotion gods do NOT want me to be able to make a lotion.

TVivian, i never even thought of that. and guess what. that's the culprit. i checked out the product info, and it reads:

Emulsifying Wax O Beads will not totally emulsify or thicken a cream or lotion without a second emulsifier.
Do not heat Emulsifying Wax O above 80 deg. C or it will not emulsify nor thicken.
When making the cream or lotion stir while cooling or separation may occur.

that's my problem. not only did i heat the e-wax over 80 degrees, but i didn't use a second emulsifier. what a waste of energy this has been.

thank you so much

The most common type of e-wax IS a complete emulsifier, so I wonder why this particular product is not. I agree a thickener might be helpful, but the deal about the e-wax needing a co-emulsifier doesn't make sense. Care to share where this product came from?

DeeAnna, i bought it from New Directions. Here is the link of the exact product. http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca/emulsifying-wax-o-sls-free-p-1496.html One thing that i find very odd is why in the heck I bought this product if it says right on the website that it needs a second emulsifier. Part of me wonders if they just recently added this information fairly recently? I ordered the e-wax maybe about 6 months ago, and I'm almost positive I didn't see this tidbit of information.

Thanks Saponista, i really appreciate that. I'll see if i can find something similar in Canada!

I think you want to look for either "E-Wax NF" which is the term for emulsifying wax national formulary, or Polawax which is the name brand. I haven't purchased it from NDA but I have used the E-wax NF from Nature's Garden (as well as other suppliers).

Good luck!

It looks like you've found your trouble maker. That's a bummer!

NDA's designation for this product as an "e-wax" is a little bit misleading IMO because so many people are familiar with the generic term "e-wax" as being a complete emulsifier product, not a co-emulsifier.

It sounds like you need a different emulsifier for sure. A good one like Polawax should be almost fool-proof. Ritamulse is another nice one and I love Lotionpro 165 from Lotioncrafter. Good luck and don't give up.
You're doing everything right...you just have a crappy product by the sounds of it.
icon_smile.gif

Latest posts

Back