Long Time Stalker, First Time Poster!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welovesoap

Reaction score
Hello folks! I've been browsing SMF for a few years, and I decided to finally take the plunge and register.

I became interested in making soap "way back" in 2000, when I was working at a Whole Foods. I LOVED the soap that we carried, especially Zum. I had never before experienced REAL soap! (I shudder to think of all of the petrochemicals I rubbed on my body before then!) I picked up a few books on cold process soap, but I didn't take the plunge to actually make them for several years. Why? It's funny to think of now, but I was actually scared to use lye! In retrospect, it really took the invention of YouTube to get me into soap making! There were no classes where I lived, and I am very much the type of person who needs to SEE it done before I feel comfortable doing it. (In fact, YouTube has been my best friend as a crafter in general; I swear I learned 90% of my knitting techniques on there!)

Anyway, fast forward a few years. Up until this last year, I had always considered soaping (and making lip balm) a hobby. I made it so that I didn't have to pay Whole Foods prices on delicious-smelling, all natural soaps! But then I was laid off at my job in September. My family and I are making ends meet, what with my husband's jobs (yes, he has two) and my unemployment checks. But with the extra time on my hands (unfortunately, with my degree in Linguistics, finding a new job will probably be a long time coming in the current economic climate), I am now at a point where I'd like to take soaping to the next level... selling it.

I know that there are a lot of things to be considered in selling soap, and I need more information and support than ever. Although the feedback that I have received from friends and families over the years is nice, well, they are a little TOO nice! I need opinions and advice from people who KNOW soap.

And so I decided to register. :wink:

P.S. I just want to add that I know developing a soap business takes time and is very often NOT profitable. I am willing to take my time, do things right, and be patient. Even if I am NEVER profitable, I think I will learn things (about soaping and about business) that will be invaluable.

P.P.S. Oho! you say, she is starting a business and is NOW registering with us -- what a spammer! Well, yes and no. I would be lying if I said that the two are disconnected. BUT, I strongly feel that small craftspeople need to support one another; I scratch your back, you scratch mine. I am joining here because I want to be part of a like-minded community. I sincerely hope to be a contributing member here.

Welcome! This forum has been invaluable to me as I set up my business, and I hope it is to you. Beginning a business is exciting. You've probably already done your research as to what the laws and regulations for establishing a business are where you live and for selling cosmetic products. That and finding liability insurance are the first steps (after perfecting your products, of course!). Sounds like you have your head on straight. One thing I tell people who get discouraged in the first year or so is that getting into a business like this is sort of like growing perennials in the garden. Sleep-creep-leap. The first year, the plant doesn't do much, but it's strengthening it's roots. The second year it creeps up a little growth-wise, and the third year, assuming conditions are right and plant has been properly cared for, IT LEAPS!

Good luck!

Thank you for your kind replies!

Yep, I've spent most of my day making inquiries on insurance. First I checked with my insurance company; unfortunately they don't cover the insurance I need, but I was VERY relieved to find out that there are no issues with my homeowner's insurance with regards to me running a soaping business out of my home. In fact, my agent informed me that he LOVED homemade soap and that one of his bosses at the insurance company makes soap as a hobby!

I still have some questions regarding FDA regulations and cosmetics. I know that they are more lenient on soaps... and I'm not sure (aside from INCI) how all of the details vary between soaps, lip balms, and body creams. But I will figure it out soon (with the help of the forum, most likely!).

BakingNana, your analogy comparing starting a business to growing perennials is wonderful. Would you mind if I quoted you on my blog? I would give credit however you would like.

*edited for clarity because I really should be sleeping right now

I'd be flattered! But you don't need to credit me. The old sleep-creep-leap thing is a popular saying among gardeners and I don't even know where or when I first heard it. (I am as addicted to gardening as I am to soaping). We have just begun are third year and this fall and holiday season were wonderful for us, so it reminded me of that phrase.

I'm sending you a PM.

Latest posts

Back