HI everybody

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wetsoap

Reaction score
My name is Michelle, I am new to the forum but not new to making soap! I found this site by slipping and falling and boom here I am lol! Actually I was doing some bath bomb research and in the middle of some experimentations with certain ingredients like slsa, polysorbate 80 and one I found surprising... corn starch?! If somebody could help me with the cornstarch ingredient I will be grateful! However I am in motions of moving my hobby to a business. Woot! I am getting amazing support from friend and family but I need a community whom have been in field or just beginning the business. Thank you:)

Welcome, glad you have joined us!

I regularly use cornstarch as a hardener in my bath bombs. It's less expensive than cream of tartar, another popular hardening ingredient. Corn starch is also reputed to have some skin-softening effects, but I haven't done the research to know if there is any factual basis for such claims.

I do use a bit of PS80 to disperse the micas and any fragrances or butters, without leaving a greasy or colored tub ring. I also add SLSa at a very small rate of 1% of the total recipe weight. It adds tons of foam, but it does slow down the fizzing action, especially the more of it that is used. Some folks' recipes call for 10% or 20% SLSa, and then they complain that the bomb lasts too long and there is only foam, no fizz. Well, yeah, back off on that SLSa. It's expensive anyway, so using just enough for a nice foamy bath is the smart move IMO. ;)

Latest posts

Back