Layers separated

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapylondon

Reaction score
Hi, I made this batch with pink clay for the bottom part and TD for the top. My formula is
5% castor
20% coconut
47% olive
28% palm
I started at room temperature. And I think this was a mistake. When I added the lye solution it started to thicken fast. I divided into two pots, added clay to one and poured into silicone mold. When I got the second part it was solid so I had a hard time adding TD and blended fast and scooped on too. I thought I had a lucky scape but today I unmolded and saw the too layer wanted to separate, I only had to pull slightly and the whole top came off! I haven't touched the rest of the bars. Do they have a chance and might stay together as they cure? Shall I rebatch? I wouldn't know how to rebatch this. Any suggestions please?
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1394145023.943058.jpg
ImageUploadedBySoap Making1394145044.801393.jpg

Oh what a shame. I think you hit upon the problem, the soap was too thick when you poured the layers. If it was me, I would probably just use them as separate bars, cut them up and use them for embeds or try gluing them together with clear M&P. It's too bad, you had a lovely layered look.

I would just use the bars as separate pieces. I have had layers separate while in use due to a too thick mica line, so I just use them up that way ;)

If it is less than 24 hours old, you could try putting it in the oven at 170 and trying to get it to gel. If you can force a gel, it will probably stay together. If it's young, I would try that first. If it's older than that, then I'd go with other people suggested.

Latest posts

Back