Loaf oily

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nd32479

Reaction score
Well, another learning opportunity from mistakes.

I tried to get all fancy this past weekend and made two different loafs with some new techniques for each. Master batched a 50/50 lye solution, used coffee, used koalin clay, used a new mica, and tried to do a 3 color drop swirl.

First batch I had separation issues very early as it may have”riced” but not sure of term. It basically was like applesauce and In kept blending for ever.i suspect it was the clay and powdered goat milk. Maybe added too much. But it did come together enough to pour it.

Second batch I left clay out and did not add fragrance and did not use mica. Used coffee, charcoal and TD for colorants. Everything seemed to go well.

The first loaf ended up with a layer of oil in top, has one small pocket that oozed a little oil when cut, and almost sweat oil. The second loaf seems fine except it is a little oily and sweat oil too.

To be honest to many variables to figure out “why”. It could be recipe, the lye batch, additives or the alcohol I spayed on top.

My question after this long post is will an oily bar cure or do I have to cook/rebatch? The first loaf is the most suspect. But in all, it seems ok except it is a little soft and oily to the touch. The second loaf is less oily and just a little softer than other bars I’ve done.

Thanks

Without knowing the recipes you used, it is hard to give you an answer. I would leave the loaves of soap for a couple of days to see if they harden up and if the oil is absorbed into the soap.

Without knowing the recipes you used, it is hard to give you an answer. I would leave the loaves of soap for a couple of days to see if they harden up and if the oil is absorbed into the soap.
Understood. The recipe was ran through soap calc so don’t think it’s the recipe itself. Most likely it is any number of things I listed.

It sounds like you believe oil can be absorbed back into a bar and cure, but to what degree only time will tell. I hope that is the caee, as it’s my first 3 color design soap and I like how they look.

Thanks

Ouch !!!
This happened to me too
My recipe is
72gr coconut oil
108gr palm oil
72gr olive pomace oil
94gr canola oil
14gr castor oil
51gr lye
115gr distilled water
22ml fragrance oil
I've been using this recipe and the fragrance oil before but today is a bit hotter and I still insulated the soap.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20240125_162752.jpg
    IMG_20240125_162752.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Understood. The recipe was ran through soap calc so don’t think it’s the recipe itself. Most likely it is any number of things I listed.

It sounds like you believe oil can be absorbed back into a bar and cure, but to what degree only time will tell. I hope that is the caee, as it’s my first 3 color design soap and I like how they look.

Thanks
I’m curious as to how this all turned out for you? I have same issue right now. I got it out of mold, very oily and hot spots…. I don’t think mine is “saveable”. I should have mixed longer. Looking like I have pockets of lye.

Latest posts

Back