Lard and beef tallow combined : which proportions?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say 50% lard, 25% tallow 20% coconut and 5% castor...that's pretty much all hard oils there though (except for the castor) so I wouldn't wait long to cut. :smile:

I've not used both at once but I think 20% tallow is a good starting point. I like lard a little better so I'd want to use more of it then tallow.

I've made an 85% tallow, 15% castor bar before. It was a nice soap but hard as a rock so the point about not waiting too long to cut is a wise one. If you are a little uncertain of the recipe, Loopy, you could make a 1 pounder and then give it a test run in a week to get a basic feel for it. Obviously, full cure tells the best story but you could at least assess it to see if it is about what you were hoping.

I use tallow in every of my soap with combination of lard 35% lard 25 % tallow. 5% castor, Rest is OO:)

My go to recipe has 30% lard and 25% tallow. Hard bar, creamy lather, kind to skin.

Yup. I have a recipe with these two proportions precisely that is absolutely wonderful. I generally like lard a bit better but really love both together.

I made a new recipe with 25% lard, 25% lard, 25% coconut and 25% olive. Its only a few days old but it seems really nice, I SF at 10%

I increased my SF because I used more coconut oil then normal and I have have extra dry skin in the winter.

Anyway made it today and learnt to never use oat milk again due to it giving a really dirty colour to everything. Even from frozen. And, to really add to the annoyance, it barely reached 65 degrees from frozen. Had to put it in hot water to bring it up a bit. Lousy.

I made a 61% lard, 12% tallow, 12% CO, 10% Castor oil, 5% OO. I chose those proportions based on the remaining amount of tallow in the fridge :) Made a nice, hard, creamy, mild bar (52 conditioning, 9 cleansing on soapcalc).

Used Biscayne Bay water instead of distilled water, and maybe that helped a bit with hardness?

Last edited:
I made some of soaps (my best ones ) with 50% of tallow, and it is incredible soap. Tallow give something to soap I can not put my finger on; the soap is creamy and very mild:))

Latest posts

Back