Howdy from Texas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

readerchick87

Reaction score
Hi, so far I've only made melt and pour soap, but I'm interested in eventually making HP and CP soaps. This seemed like a good place to learn more about the whole process.

Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading through some of that, and I've read through the basic process a few times. I know there is a lot to learn. Any suggestions for basic supplies?

The cutie is Max.

What kind of basic supplies? Do you mean oils? What to mix the ingredients in? Utensils?

I use an old Rubbermaid pitcher or the bottom of my double boiler to mix lye in and the heavy plastic spoons to stir. When I first started soaping, I used a big glass bowl to mix the soap in but it was kind of heavy once everything was added in and I was concerned about it slipping out of my grasp. I switched to using a large plastic bowl. It's great. It has a lip with a covering for improved grip and a "spout" for easy pouring. It looks like a Wilton bowl but without the logo. :wink: I found it at Meijier's on clearance. I've seen similar bowls at other stores. I use a stick blender with 2 speeds to stir the soap. It was an inexpensive one. I think I only paid about $10 for it.

You can find many oils at groceries and other stores - coconut oil, olive oil, lard, tallow, etc. I started out using coconut oil, olive oil, nwe Crisco with palm and castor oil that I found at WalMart. Now I buy oils from Columbus Foods - soaperschoice.com. I purchased lye from lyeguy.com originally. The last time I purchased lye from Essential Depot because they were having a sale. You can find lye in stores. Just make sure it says 100% sodium hydroxide. I think a lot of people use Rooto drain cleaner.

I had a wooden mold which I used to line with freezer paper. I've switched to silicone molds and love them. However, you can use other things for molds - old drawers, wax coated milk cartons, shoe boxes, etc.

I used a battery operated digital kitchen scale (found at Meijiers). I used it for a long time but found it annoying since it would shut off a lot while I was weighing out the ingredients. After I decided I loved making soap and would continue with it, I searched online and bought a digital scale with an AC adapter. I found out later that I could have gone to Staples and bought a postal scale. :roll:

eta: I use old bowls and measuring cups to weigh supplies. I mark everything I use for soap making to ensure they won't get mixed back in with anything I use for food. I found condiment cups at WalMart's (4 in a pack). I use these to weigh out FOs and EOs. They only hold about 1 oz but they work for me because most of my batches are only 2 lb.

HTH

I asked very generically about basics so you could answer however you thought was best. It looks like I'll need to hit up some thrift stores for old kitchenware stuff. I'm still at a point were have almost nothing I need to make soap. How do you mark things as soap only supplies, spray paint or sharpies?

Also: This is my Pepper
Picture312-1.jpg

He's adorable! That's a great picture. :D

Here's a link to a discussion on using plastic to mix lye. You might find it interesting to read.

http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26134

I use red electrical tape around the handles of the spoons, spatulas, etc. I've marked some items with a sharpie and I store everthing away from the kitchen. My sisters had given me see-through plastic boxes and I use them to store the smaller items and utensils.

Thrift stores are good places to look. You could ask family and friends if they have old stainless steel or plastic items which they're willing to donate. You can reimburse them later with soap. :wink: They also might be willing to look for items which you can use. A friend of mine found some silicone bread loaf molds at a thrift store. They make larger bars than I like but I just cut them in half.

Thank you for the link. I'll make sure to double check everything before I use it. The electrical tape is a really good idea, does it stand up in the dishwasher, or would you advice avoiding the dishwasher all together (because of the lye etc).
You've been so helpful and friendly :D .

(and pepper is a she, but she has never cared that she is constantly mistaken for a boy)

Oops! My bad. I assumed she was a he because my sister used to have a male dog named Pepper.

I do occasionally wash my utensils in the dishwasher. I rinse everything with vinegar and water. After that, I wash everything with Dawn detergent but every now and then I just have the impulse to give everything a heavy duty cleaning. Eventually the electrical tape does start to peel off but then I just replace it.

You're welcome about the link. I thought what IrishLass wrote was very helpful and thought you might like the info. Of course, there are lots more advice and tips on the forum. The problem is finding the time to read everything. :lol:

It is hard to find time to read it all. I've been searching for old posts about ingredients I used in M&P and would like to use in CP or HP soap. I plan on making plain soap first, but I like the idea of knowing where I could go from there :D.

Oats, honey, coffee, sugars (for scrubiness), and EOs (clove, lemon, eucalyptus, and rose).
I think trying to get some sugar and/or salt scrubiness will be the first thing I do after getting a few plain recipes down.

(I know scrubiness isn't a word, but I couldn't resist using it)

You'll find lots of info about these additives in the CP section. You can either skim the topics to get an idea of the discussion or use the search function for a specific additive.

Have you looked through the SMF tutorials site yet? Here's the link if you need it. There's a great tutorial on making salt bars.

http://smftutorials.com/drupal/

Latest posts

Back