Hot Process with Pencil Lines

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyBee

Reaction score
Newbie here coming to the experts! (I posted this in the Lye Based section also.) I tried enviro-glitter for my pencil lines and didn't get enough between the red and white layers so you can't see it at all...I actually thought I was putting too much because it wasn't showing up much as I was adding it, and I worried about separation of layers!

My question is this...does anyone spray the layer of HP soap batter and/or the pencil line with ethanol alcohol (or any other substance) before/after applying the pencil line to prevent the batter from separating later on? I've read conflicting opinions about spraying anything on it.

Thank you so much for any advice!

I haven't tried pencil lines in hot process soap, nor do I know what "enviro glitter" is, so I can't be a lot of help with that. You might want to post a photo so people can really understand what you're trying to describe.

The general rule of thumb for pencil lines in cold process is to just barely cover the surface of the soap with the mica or other colorant. If you try to add a thick layer of colorant to get a more obvious pencil line, the soap will tend to break apart along the pencil lines because it can't adhere well through the layer of colorant. No matter what liquid you put on the colorant, it won't "glue" the layers of soap together through the colorant.

Tip: Please don't post a question twice. It's very confusing when people do that. My advice is to pick the forum that best suits your question and create a thread in that forum.

Oh my...DeeAnna saw and answered my question! I am honored! Everything I've been reading...you are the soap queen! I used Black Onyx Eco--Friendly EnviroGlitter (NurtureSoap). I'm thinking this particular product may just not have enough color variant for the red???

Thank you for the tip also!

Attachments

• Photo with pencil line issue.jpg
    Photo with pencil line issue.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 0
Do you know if you can mix HP and CP? I was thinking about trying the bulk of my soap in HP with CP for just the pencil line. The purpose of the HP is to get the rustic look instead of the slick/smooth look of CP. (After I posted this, I realized I should have just edited by reply!)

Newbie here coming to the experts! (I posted this in the Lye Based section also.) I tried enviro-glitter for my pencil lines and didn't get enough between the red and white layers so you can't see it at all...I actually thought I was putting too much because it wasn't showing up much as I was adding it, and I worried about separation of layers!

My question is this...does anyone spray the layer of HP soap batter and/or the pencil line with ethanol alcohol (or any other substance) before/after applying the pencil line to prevent the batter from separating later on? I've read conflicting opinions about spraying anything on it.

Thank you so much for any advice!
Your post in the lye section was deleted, please don't duplicate post the same question in another forum ,it only confuses members, replying to the same one.

Latest posts

Back