Help Information Needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JermanEssence

Reaction score
Hello All
I am not great with measurements. I would like to do CP soap making but, will it be hard because measurements have to be exact? I am a little afraid to work with lye, but I guess if I am taking all precautions I will be fine.

If you have a scale which measures in gram increments and make recipes that weigh at least 500 grams you should be fine.

Also, round down for lye and round up for oils just to be safe.

All measurements should be according to weight, not volume.

Again I will say it. Measurements are important. But as a Canadian most of measurements are in grams and my scale only measures to the closest gram and lots of times SoapCalc gives measurements in the 10th of a gram. I always round down on lye and round up on oils. This will just result in the superfat being higher than what you calculated.

Thanks all you have been so helpful. I was in walmart looking for scales they had none. I have to check walmart.com
Also which oils do you recommend purchasing from Walmart?

If you have a Harbor Freight near you, they also carry scales. Or a Staples, Office Max, Office Depot.

You can get your olive oil, soybean oil, castor oil (in the pharmacy section), they may have coconut oil at your walmart as well.

Back