Do I use less essential oils for HP soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceara Mongan

Reaction score
Hello fellow soapmakers! I have experience of making soap using the CP method but am venturing into trying the HP method. I have read somewhere that you use less essential oils to the soap as it is added at the end of the cooking process. The source stated up to half the amount of essential oils or fragrance.

I usually run my recipes to Soapcalc to get my measurements correct and EOcalc to measure my essential oils and neither ask whether the soap is being made using the CP or HP method. I have tried to research this topic but cannot find a definitive answer. Do I just use the same amount as I would in CP soap?

It would be greatly appreciated if anybody could school me on this topic.

Good day to you all :)

Ceara x

As far as safety goes, you can use the same amount for both; that doesn't change.

However, some folks find that they need less scent in HP to get the same level of fragrance in the finished soap. This may be because the lye is no longer active when the EO is added to HP, so less of the scent is destroyed.

I recommend making a couple of small test batches to see what you think. :)

Latest posts

Back