Goats milk is in!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never knew goat milk was out. I also didn't know about the donkey or camel milk. Wouldn't matter if I did know. I don't think I'd be able to find either of these locally. :lol:

It's nice reading about something people have been doing for a very long time and finding out it's "in" or "new"... :lol:

I have actually heard about donkey milk as well as sheep milk. Camel milk for soap is a new one for me though.... 8)

I milk my rabbit, don't think I can get that much to make soap with though ,hehe.

Milking a camel?? -I don't think I'd like to risk it, they're temperamental blighters the best of times... all I can think about is being spat at lol :wink:
It's great to read about the goats milk being the new 'in' though :)

How does one milk a rabbit, and why? I can't imagine, lol!

I'm in the curious-about-rabbit-milking-camp myself. I'm picturing miniature cow-milking machines that they hook up to the teets, with the tubes that take the milk off to tanks or whatever... really really tiny ones.

Yeah, I need sleep.

I've read about widespread use of mare's milk for soapmaking in spain, too... I just can't imagine though.

gratia said:
I think it has the same regulations as goat milk. leagally in ca anyway you cant sell unless you are certified or something. the camel dairy near me is working on it. health department stuff. to much potentially hazard bacteria. i dont think i am quite explaining it right.

I understand your explanation. The dairy requires state certification in order to comply with health department regulations. I didn't realize camel milk was hazardous. :shock:

Just kidding about the hazard. Hopefully they'll get certification soon. Can't you still try a batch with camel milk? It would be interesting to hear how camel milk soap turns out.

I don't know your area at all, but doesn't the restriction apply only to milk being sold as a consumable (like drinking it)? Here they need certification to sell it as a food stuff to the general public but it is okay to use and sell in milk, bath & body products.

Like I said - I don't know your laws but I can't imagine people not being allowed to sell their goat's milk soaps from their own goats even though they're not certified to sell the milk as a food consumable.

In NY you cannot sell the milk as such, but can use it in soaps, at least, and sell those.

soapbuddy said:
I've made camel milk soap. It's just like any other milk.

Soapbuddy, you have done everything! Everyone else is joking about it and you've actually done it. You're the best. :D

PrairieCraft said:
soapbuddy said:
I've made camel milk soap. It's just like any other milk.

Soapbuddy, you have done everything! Everyone else is joking about it and you've actually done it. You're the best. :D
Thanks! I don't know about doing everything, but I was lucky enough to score some camel milk due to the Date Festival that has camel races every year.

There's an alpaca farm near where I live and now I'm wondering if anyone has ever tried soaping with alpaca milk. It might be kind of different.

Latest posts

Back