Goat Milk Liquid Soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapanic17

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have been interested in adding goat milk to liquid soap. I have made liquid soap before and I sell Goat Milk soap, so I wanted to continue that trend with Goat Milk Liquid soap. How would I go about doing that? What other preservatives do i use if I add GM? I use Optiphen in my regular liquid soap. Any tips and recipes would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I personally would be okay using dairy milk to make the soap paste, but I would dilute the paste only with distilled water. I'd expect sediment in this soap due to the milk solids that don't saponify. I don't use a preservative in soap paste, but I do add it to diluted soap, especially if the product is highly diluted (in other words, contains a low % of actual pure soap).

I can't tell from your post whether you were thinking of using milk just to make the soap or also to dilute the paste. In case you're thinking of diluting with milk, please know a preservative cannot realistically prevent microbial growth in a product that provides a balanced meal of fats, carbs, protein, and water. It's like setting a few moustraps in the middle of a buffet loaded with food. The mousetraps might catch a few mice, but overall they can't be effective.

IIRC, optiphen isn't rated for products with a high pH. You'll have to research what preservative can tolerate high pH. I use liquid germall plus in diluted liquid soap, but this is an off-label use for LGP. I make this soap only for household use. Because I use LGP for other products, I always have it on hand so I use it for liquid soap too. If I sold liquid soap, I wouldn't use LGP -- I'd want to use a preservative that is officially rated for the pH. More: https://makingskincare.com/preservatives/

Latest posts

Back