Goat milk/farmer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misskat22

Reaction score
I have an odd question. I live in the city, but not too far outside of the city there's a goat farm (I know this because when we drive by I see the goats out in the field) Well, yesterday when we drove by I noticed they have some baby goats..which must mean there's milk, right? So since I was just thinking I'd like to make a goats milk soap, but had NO idea where to get goats milk, this might be a good place to look. Now, here's the odd question part, would it be strange to type up a letter, explaining what I'm wanting it for and asking if they'd sell me some? I only need about 500ml to start and I can't see needing too much more than that every so often, so even if it's just for the babies, they wouldn't really miss that little bit every so often, would they? I know the basic answer to this is "Do it and see..the worst they can say is no". If you were a goat farmer, would that be strange to you? I need to make more soap, my mind is wandering :mrgreen:

These may be meat goats instead of milk goats. You can buy canned goat's milk at the grocery store.

Krystal, I wouldn't think it was weird if I were a farmer...but I'm really nice! I also, have some goats down the road but I'm scared to ask them for milk! I asked them if I could buy ONE bale of straw when I moved here 3 years ago and they were so weird about it.

I would say either write or the other option would be to stop by and talk to them in person. Either way the worst they can say is no. The other option with stopping by is you can bring some of your soap and let them see what you are making to get an idea of why you would like to buy some. The other option if they say no is that you can buy goats milk powder online. I just did a search and it is available on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00014G43W/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Hope that you can buy or trade from a local farmer, but having another option is helpful also. Best of luck and let us know how it works out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I forgot to mention that I just bought condensed goat milk at walmart in the baking isle. Just halve the water and use the condensed goat milk (at full strength) for the other half (added at trace).

I'm thinking along the same lines as Badger. I would stop for a short visit. Say how you've enjoyed the goats as you've driven by, that you make soap, and you were wondering if there was a place you could buy local goats milk to use in your soap.

If they say, well, we could sell you some, then you're set! If they don't, at least you'll learn something and maybe make friends. I'd sure make a point to have a bar or two of your soap to give them as a thank you for their time, regardless of whether you get any milk or not. Putting that gift in their hands might open the door to a fruitful discussion of bartering.

I would also add if they are doing chores, don't be surprised or offended if they keep doing chores while they talk (assuming it's chore time). Critters are like children -- they often get cranky and demanding when the schedule gets disrupted -- so they are going to get priority over a human visitor.

--DeeAnna

It does not hurt to ask. If not stop at the local feedstore, they might be able to direct you to a farmer with goats that might sell you some. Goats need feed, not a tractor and supply go for the mom and pop feed stores, they know everything about their area. You can check craigslist or the american dairy goat assoc. As well.
I have used the canned gm in most super markets, works great.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I was thinking just dropping a little note so that I didn't disturb them, it's something they could get to when they have time. Also, I'm in Canada..and I can't say I've ever seen goat's milk (of any kind) in the store or anything, but I also haven't really looked :)

Back