Making Aloe Vera Gel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frijoles

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have aloe vera plants and want to make my own gel. I found a recipe that calls for xanthan gum clear but it's hard to source where I live. I'm wondering if I can use regular xanthan gum instead. Anyone know? Thanks

I haven't used any gums in my aloe vera gel. It is very thick and gel-like on its own. As DeeAnna recommended, if I make more than I can use immediately, I freeze the rest for later. Otherwise, it will go bad very quickly.

I can't help you with the thickener. I hope you're planning include a broad spectrum preservative and also to refrigerate or freeze this product.
Yes, the recipe calls for liquid Germall Plus as well. Thanks

I haven't used any gums in my aloe vera gel. It is very thick and gel-like on its own. As DeeAnna recommended, if I make more than I can use immediately, I freeze the rest for later. Otherwise, it will go bad very quickly.
I use a purchased one as a facial moisturizer now and want to make my own, but I don't want to have to make it daily. Thanks

Yes, the recipe calls for liquid Germall Plus as well. Thanks

I use a purchased one as a facial moisturizer now and want to make my own, but I don't want to have to make it daily. Thanks
That makes sense, and as long as you do use the preservative, you should be fine. You should also be able to use regular xanthan gum - I do, and it makes no difference in my B&B recipes, except that it takes longer to disperse evenly. I have a big bag so I will continue to use it until it is gone - which probably means my family will inherit it when I pass. 😁

Let us know how you like it after you make it!

That makes sense, and as long as you do use the preservative, you should be fine. You should also be able to use regular xanthan gum - I do, and it makes no difference in my B&B recipes, except that it takes longer to disperse evenly. I have a big bag so I will continue to use it until it is gone - which probably means my family will inherit it when I pass. 😁

Let us know how you like it after you make it!
Yeah, for the amount used in the recipe it'll take a while to get through a bag for sure. Glad to know that I can use the regular xanthan gum - thanks very much!

So, I'm looking on Amazon for liquid Germall Plus and it looks like it comes as water soluble or oil soluble. Probably a dumb question, but I'd need the water soluble one for this purpose, right? Thanks

Back