Global Finanical Crisis on Soapers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaseencook

Reaction score
What affect do you think the global financial crisis will have on soap makers?

Do you think there will be a boom in soap makers as more people loose their jobs and are looking for an income?

Do you think there will be a fall in soap makers because materials become more expensive?

What do you think? :shock:

I personally think that soap making is sort of a downplayed craft. When I mentioned to a few friends that I was going to make soap they sort of envisioned me melting my skin off. Lye sort of kills the soap making dream for us scardey cats ^_^

I also believe that there seems to be an influx of new Etsy soap shops. I used to browse around looking at the lusicious bath products and I do not remember there ever being so many shops before. But perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me.

I don't think there will be a boom, but I think a lot of little soapers are going to have a tough time.

I srsly doubt we see a lot of new people to the craft if times get bad.....it's not cheap.

MikeInPdx said:
I srsly doubt we see a lot of new people to the craft if times get bad.....it's not cheap.

See I disagree here. When times get hard some of us start thinking of ways to make a little extra. I would rather spend some money if I have a chance to make some... I know not everyone thinks this way but if only a small percent do,,,and a small percent of them think soap,,,,,, a whole bunch of small percents make up a decent percent LOL

Well, I am a good example!

I lost my job in August. Before then, soapmaking was just a hobby for me. I had never planned on going into business when I first started out.

I've not been able to find a decent job for 7 months now. About 2 months ago I was introduced to a government funded program that will cover the cost of my living expenses while I start up my own business. Since I've been having such a hard time finding a new job, I've decided to take this opportunity to try to go into business with my soap & other B&B stuff I make.

If I had not been laid off I probably wouldn't have considered this. I do think it was somewhat of a blessing in disguise though - as I have always wanted to own my own business and have always loved being artsy and creative (just never had the financial means to turn it into a business). I feel like I was meant to do something like this, but I never would have seriously considered it had I not been laid off.

So, while soap making is not cheap, there are programs out there that will help fund new businesses, and I can see more and more people considering turning their hobbies into businesses to try to make whatever money they can. That's what I'm doing.

barefootbody said:
Ashley do you mind telling us the name of the program?

It's the Self Employment Benefit Program in Canada. I think the US has a similar program - you'd have to check with your unemployment office.

Lindy was the one who shared the program with me, and I am so happy she did! It is a really great opportunity... especially now, when so many people are losing their jobs.

I think that just like everything else people will handle this economy differently. Some will see only the negative and shy away from everything whereas others will see the opportunities this economy can actually create and pursue them. I guess it that old glass half full or half empty thingie.

For me I was in a very high paying management position in Calgary until I ended up with a serious fracture in my foot compicated with blood clots in my leg. I ended up off of work for 6 months and that ended that position because as a manager they needed someone handling my team and had to replace me. That led me to Powell River because I had an "ah ha" moment while I was off work and discovered that lifestyle was more important than dollars. Since then I have had a difficult time finding a job because I'm over-qualified for most similar positions and so here I am, a year later and starting a soap making business. And so grateful to be able to do it.

What I am finding so far is that people are willing to buy these products because it's still a luxury they can afford.

JMO though.

Cheers
Lindy

kaseencook said:

Do you think there will be a boom in soap makers as more people loose their jobs and are looking for an income?

Do you think there will be a fall in soap makers because materials become more expensive?

What do you think? :shock:
people at my clinic are still interested in spending 4$ for handmade soap, we'll see at farmers market.

I think, if the crisis affects soapmakers, it will probably be because the market is bound to shrink some. Inevitaly, some people won't be able to afford paying $4+ for a bar of soap, and they'll have to go back to buying at Wal Mart.
About an increase in the number of soapmekers...at least here, in the U.S., I'd be more worried about an increase in the number of moonshiners... :wink:

Thanks for that info Ashley, I need to look into what we have available in the States, if anything.

Lindy, how are your sales doing at the kiosk?

Barefootbody - today I made my rent for the weekend plus profit as well. The next 3 days are my profit days. People are coming back and telling me how much they love the product and others coming up and saying how glad they are that I'm in the mall on a regular basis.. This should continue to grow as I start getting repeat business and continuing to grow the customer base. Stronger start than I had hoped for. I sell my soaps for $5.25 on average....

That's great Lindy, better than I expected. You're rent is on a daily basis isn't it? So your sales have been really good. I know you have a wide array of (gorgeous) soaps, do you sell anything else?

I too depend on repeat business. I've had some trouble getting people to actually use the soaps, to many people just want to keep them on display! but once they do use it, they love it.

I think being in one spot & being dependable is also really helpful for sales. At a craft fair, you may make the business that day, but will they actually seek you out when they need more?

Do you also have a website? I don't, and dread doing one.

Yeah my rent is a daily rent and I book my locations for groups of 3 or 4 days depending on where I am and what's going on. I sell soap, body butter, bath salts, bath bombs, lip balms, face cloths and soap socks. I've been getting people coming back already and telling me how much they love the product. I also have a website with e-commerce so people can buy from me on-line. What I'm telling the locals is that if I'm not at the mall then once a week I'll be doing deliveries to help encourage people to buy from me. I figure the easier I make it for people the more likely they are to buy from me. Well that plus I'm hoping they love my product.... :wink:

Thanks Lindy. Are all of the products selling well? Do you limit your deliveries to a certain mileage area? Where I live it is so spread out, I could eat all the profits in gas.

I'm actually surprised at what is selling out - definately not the ones I would have prredicted. My deliveries are limited to the town site and then I only spend one day a week for deliveries. I got 2 orders this weekend for custom facecloths and for a custom colour bath pouf....

I also believe that there seems to be an influx of new Etsy soap shops.
Ther are more sellers, but no just in soap, in all areas. That is OK, infact, that is good. Every seller is also a consumer. I say bring em on!

There are a couple reasons for the influx.

1) The other big soap forum has organised themselves as a team & all lept in & somewhet saturated the market.

2) Many other artists & crafters see the high sales of top soap shops & figure they will throw their hats into the ring too. These people are not skilled or learned soapmakers (for the most part). They are just on the latest bandwagon & won't last.

Like I said, that's OK w/ me. each new seller is also a buyer...

To answer the original question. Starting your own biz is a risk. I do not see too many people wanting to take a risk right now nor do I see too many peole w/ that extra capitol.

The US does not have the same sort of self employment program Canada does. The US does not pay people to work & learn , they pay people to NOT work (welfare). I know that sounds ugly, but it is a true statement to the best of my knowledge & experience.

Latest posts

Back