Fed up with getting my soap out of the molds!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shonnyisley

Reaction score
I have been using wax paper to line my wooden log molds for all of this time. Lately they have been impossible to get out of the molds. IDK what the heck is happening. Is parchment paper really that much better to use, or could it be that I am using a different brand of wax paper. What is the best and cheapest way to line these things?

A while back I got a package of parchment sheets pretty cheap (when you take the quantity of total parchment into account) at GFS (Gordon Food Service). Other restaurant supply stores or Sams/Costco/etc might have these.

It works nicely on my slab mold, pretty easy to peel off. Sometimes it rips and I need to peel it off in a couple sections, but it's not like I'm peeling off a bunch of little bits.

The grocery store it's usually down on the bottom shelf by all the aluminum foil and wax paper and stuff. One row, one brand, easy to miss. It's a lot heavier, like the stuff they wrap your meat in if you buy from the butcher.

Wax paper is too thin. I have never had good results with it. I use freezer paper most of the time, but i have recently started using Contact Paper. I can get 5 or 6 batches out of it gets too wrinkly.

Put the waxy side of the freezer paper to your soap. Peels off rather easily.

Also, just for kicks and giggles 8)

Freezer paper makes really nifty stencils if you want to paint on fabric. Just cut out your image with an exacto blade, set a regular iron on medium heat, iron the stencil waxy side against the fabric to stick it on there and paint away. When you're done, peel the freezer paper off and Ta-da! You got an awesome image on your fabric. Works really well on t-shirts! :D

Freezer paper seems to be more economical than parchment. I had both when I first started soaping because I love to cook and I quilt. (We use freezer paper for applique in quilting.) Loved the parchment, but it's too expensive for me and if I wasn't careful I'd get wrinkles. Freezer paper stays smooth for me. Assuming you're in the U.S., the brand of freezer paper in the stores is Reynolds Freezer Paper and it comes in big 150-foot rolls.

Waxed paper doesn't work (IMO) because the wax coating dissolves and the paper is too thin to peel away from the soap.

I also use freezer paper - the wax will melt from the heat of the soap and it doesn't do well wet. I haven't tried parchment paper since I did get guided to the freezer paper right away. I tried butcher's paper and it just made a mess so I use that now for packaging......

Freezer paper is coated with plastic on one side, I think. I put the plastic side AWAY from the soap and mine comes out fine every time (in case the paper gets too hot, I don't want the plastic to melt ONTO my soap so I face it away). The paper does not stick to my soap. I unmold after 24 hours usually.

I think that is what we would call baking parchment

I use freezer paper when I have to line a mold (shiny side toward soap). but have gotten lazy and just do silicone molds now.

Waxed paper - one bad experience was enough for me to not try it again.

I wish I could afford silicone molds right now! I guess I will try the freezer paper...but is it heat safe to do CPOP?

Latest posts

Back