What silicone to chose?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I like how cool acrylic molds look. But they are expensive, so I decided to make my own. I also hate lining molds, so the next reasonable step was to make matching silicone mold.
Took me 2 days and here what came out of the project.

mold.jpg
Everything is OK, except the silicone. I bought it on Amazon this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BMV58T6M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It was recommended for the soap molds, but it is very soft and tacky. It is not sticky to touch, but it sticks to the acrylic so much. that it will be impossible to slide it out of the mold with the block of soap.
I read in some threads about making molds. Recently there was a discussion about making stone shape mold. But nobody mentioned the brand of silicone they used, and did they like the quality.
Pls, any advice will be appreciated. I still have some acrylic pieces left, want more molds with silicone lining🙏

I use mold Star 15. However, I think it would not slide easily either against acrylic either. I have used it for column, embed, and small loaf molds. It is pricey though.
I though about that too, and I might try it. But it is not going to be perfect, and I am a perfectionist. Plus, there so many silicone molds on Etsy, I don't believe it is that difficult to buy those, just need to know what kind.

Hi there - I mentioned in the stone soap intro that I used Brick in the Yard two part silicone. They have great products and are very knowledgeable, and could probably advise you on which of their products to use for your project. Here’s a link. https://www.brickintheyard.com/
Thanks for the lead. I will call them today and see what they suggest.
I use mold Star 15. However, I think it would not slide easily either against acrylic either. I have used it for column, embed, and small loaf molds. It is pricey though.
I stumbled on Star 15 in my internet googling too. Read good reviews. It is very pricey, for the amount they sell. For the mold I posted, I used the whole 500 ml kit. It is probably easier and cheaper to buy the mold with lining than do it by yourself. But we don't look for easy ways out, do we? ;)

Last edited:
@natik, not sure if this is hijacking your thread, but would you post regarding your experience with the TC-5110? Looking for a silicone which will replicate fine details very well. I have a mold with a ton of them. I wanted to make a soap from it and then make a couple of molds from the soap so that I could make more than one at a time for Day of the Dead presents, rather than making mini CP batches for days and days.

Afraid this multi-generation mold (ie; soap mold from soap so that the details are a little blunted) will not work without a silicone that takes details very well.) Picture of the soap attached.
1710779670276.png

Last edited:
@natik, not sure if this is hijacking your thread, but would you post regarding your experience with the TC-5110? Looking for a silicone which will replicate fine details very well. I have a mold with a ton of them. I wanted to make a soap from it and then make a couple of molds from the soap so that I could make more than one at a time for Day of the Dead presents, rather than making mini CP batches for days and days.

Afraid this multi-generation mold (ie; soap mold from soap so that the details are a little blunted) will not work without a silicone that takes details very well.) Picture of the soap attached.
View attachment 76826
I'm not sure if you want to go through this much work, but several years ago the Soap Challenge Club had a bas relief soap challenge. Here is one of the videos of the process used, and your details might be captured better than from clay and plaster than soap. It is a lot of extra work, but you will have pretty good molds at the end. I'm sure the tutorial is still available for purchase on the SCC website.

Just to follow up on silicone mold adventure. Got a new silicone, made 3 more molds... after the whole day measuring, cutting, making square boxes that wouldn't leak... the molds came out tacky, just like from the silicone from Amazon. In short - it is not worth it. In a process I also dropped my newly made and never before used acrylic mold and cracked it in half 🤕
Was a good experience, but will buy ready made pretty clear mold and forget this nightmare.
Although, I still have 2 whole bottles of silicone rubber left. So maybe I will do some stone molds, those should be much easier to make.

Oh, no! I bought some silicone after I read your post, I have yet to try it though. Thanks for reporting back. If the product I bought produces a non-sticky mold (or even if it's sticky) I'll post in case someone else is silicone shopping.

pls let me know. I am sure I am just getting the wrong grade of silicone. The one I get is strong, very flexible, soap comes out of it well, but it doesn't glide out of the mold. It is the type that would be great as a table mat for kids, so that the plate stay in place and the wouldn't push it off the table.
But the silicones are so expensive, I already spent too much money to start trying other grades.

Hi, very nice mold. Powder the outside of silicone mold. Will help with the tackiness. Also, adding air release holes. In the bottom of the acrylic part. Would help with releasing mold. Great project.

Hi, very nice mold. Powder the outside of silicone mold. Will help with the tackiness. Also, adding air release holes. In the bottom of the acrylic part. Would help with releasing mold. Great project.
Powder is a good idea, Didn't think of it. I tried to brush mold with melted bees wax, made it worse.
I will try to do it with my wooden molds (I made silicone liners for them too). As for acrylic on the first pic, I broke it while making silicone liner for it 🤕

Latest posts

Back