Experimenting...this should be interesting!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikindred

Reaction score
Well, for the past couple of months, I have been reading the forum and seeing the different techniques for swirling soaps so about two weeks ago, I made my first facial bar and swirled it...it came out so pretty that now I think I am addicted and want to swirl more.

I have not ventured into the swirling because for the past two years, I have just been trying to learn how to make soap and make a good quality bar..didn't really want to jump out there and confuse myself with learning to swirl at the same time (I am not that coordinated).

I am going to practice with the funnel technique this weekend on a bar that I am using Grapefruit, Lavender and Orange to scent and I am thinking of using a PVC pipe. Can you swirl using a PVC pipe or am I getting way too far ahead of myself? Any suggestions would be appreciated...and if this doesn't come out right, a should to cry on might be helpful as well!

Wow! That's your first swirl?!? Spectacular!
I've been doing both funnel and pot swirls for a while and none of mine turn out that nice. Good thing mine are just for family and friends... Take good notes on your technique, 'cause people are going to be asking you for advice.

I agree the ITP swirl is easiest. I also did a funnel soap into a round mold and got interesting patterns by pouring a color and white simultaneously into the funnel, rather than alternating color with the white. I did find that the color tended to stay on the side on which it was poured, so if you pour two colors into the funnel at the same time, I would recommend that you move them around so they intermingle more. I would post a picture to show you what I mean, but I've given almost all the soap away and the one piece I kept of that batch is the piece I stuck a spatula into and swirled that way. Works for the top, but it would be messy to try to stick a spatula all the way into a longer mold; I just did the top to compare the pattern to the simultaneous vs alternating pour.

I don't think you're doing too much at once. Not at all. I saw your swirl!

Thanks! I think I had beginners luck on the first swirl or was it that I have been reading and watching online tutorials for the past 5 months!

In PVC, I think ITP works better. I've only done it once and my colors were pretty similar, but I think there is a subtle swirl. Using a funnel, also done only once, created some interesting designs. Almost polka dot-like. Which is better really just depends on the look you're after.

Back