Neons or brights

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponif

Reaction score
After almost 20 years without making soap, I bought supplies and have been enjoying myself so much! (It is not like a riding a bike so don't ever stop if it is something you enjoy - feel like I'm starting over again.) In the past, I always used clays, herbs, or ultramarines/oxides for coloring soap. I am now really feeling a pull toward the bright colors which seem to be sometimes made with micas and sometimes with coated FD&C dyes that are powders. (Please correct me if I am not understanding that correctly.) Searching the forum, I see the following recommendations:
-Nurture Soap
-Brambleberry (micas, not FD&C, I think)
-Mad Micas
-TKB Pop (which seem to be re-labeled and are not "pop" anymore, also seem to be micas)
-WSP

I have *zero* interest in dealing with anything that morphs in CP soap. I really want to try some of the new swirl techniques I've been seeing online. I've looked and looked at different options and am having analysis paralysis. What would you recommend for me?

I mostly order from Nurture Soap because I also like their fragrance oils, and they have smaller sizes of mica available to try. I have tried a few Bramble Berry micas and have had no problems with them, but the smallest size they offer is 1 ounce - which is a lot of mica if you don't like it. Mad Micas has good micas as well, but don't offer anything else so I rarely order from there. One thing to be aware of is that many of the micas offered are the same color but named differently by the various suppliers.

You could also check Micas and More. I've had good luck with those I've used from there as well.

If you are looking for something more specific than this, let us know.

I had the same call to do bright/neon soap, maybe it's because I'm from the eighties :)

I love Mad Micas neon colors, they turn out great with a little titanium dioxide.

Here's a soap I did last summer with palo Santo fragrance oil from candle science.

Attachments

• IMG20231104134843.jpg
    IMG20231104134843.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20231104134531.jpg
    IMG20231104134531.jpg
  • IMG20231104134835.jpg
    IMG20231104134835.jpg

Latest posts

Back